Linux Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so Bleep.

Linux is a Unix port from a 32 bit to a 16 bit machine, or I've come to understand that anyway, made by Linus Torvalds

There's a big difference between Unix and Linux in the fact that Linux takes a lot more from Windows and the newer versions aren't based solely on the kernel, as you can go into Linux and mess with the kernel itself (unlike Windows) that's the big difference between it and windows. However, Linux isn't solely based off of the kernel (like I said) like Unix is.

on top of that I believe Linux has certain programs programmed in different languages, whereas Unix is strictly C-based.

Ahh. Well that taught me something.

I've always been curious about Linux (plus the penguin is kinda cute and cudly lookin'), but i always end up with Windows instead.

I'm still thinking of trying linux on my old computer...just to learn more.

Bleep said:
A few letters.

Cute... LOL

In my opinion, Unix and Linux are not any more complicated than Windows. It's just been out of the end-user realm of interest for so long and now making a lot more people interested due to it's perks (flexabilty, open souce functionality,security, etc.) Think of how long it takes the average user to truely understand Windows. If a user starts out with Linux and/or Unix, without any Windows/DOS background, then it would be just as easily comprehended. A lot of people understand DOS and Windows and then try to start to understand Unix/Linux.... a lot tougher for the average end-user. You gotta take all that you understand about DOS/Windows and throw it out the window.....keeping, of course, all that you understand about general computing and how a comupter functions.

-Michael

Total control. That's what it's about. You can do whatever you please as long as you have the brain power to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom