linux floppy install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow9684

In Runtime
can someone point me in the direction of a linux version that will let me easily install it from a floppy(lots of them of course) an old version would be great, its for an acient laptop

The only Linux I know right off hand of that still comes on floppies or can be installed from floppies is SCO.

I am sure there is another one out there that someone knows about.

yeh loads of older versions can be installed from floppy, its just trying to find old versions of debian etc

You are going to have issues with that laptop, doesnt matter which linux you use, it can be done, but it will be work.

Slackware 3.5 can be installed via floppy, dunno if the stuff you need is available anymore or not, I think it is.

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-3.5/

Ya its there.You will need a bootdisk, and root disk and a working computer to make them with.

You will also need from the slackware directory at that site the A,L,N directories---->once youve got those installed the rest will be easier.Get the K and D directories too, so you can compile stuff and have a kernel to work with.

Some notes, read the documentation carfeully, the kernel used wont support modern browsers like firefox for example or some of the newer software.Pick your kernel carefully, that laptop may have specific needs.Drivers for a pcmia NIC card or modem may be tough to find or get working, just warning you.

slackware uses a package system with NO dependency checking, check the docs for each major piece of software to make sure youve got what it needs installed.The L directory is all the libraries, its pretty inclusive but your bound to run into something you need that isnt there.

Oh ya, get some of the stuff from the ap directory, and make sure youve got the program called "pine" it comes with a very good editor called "pico", it will make your life easier.

Oh ya, once youve got that stuff working we can work on getting your Xserver going and some GUI for you running, most of this install is going to be text mode at first, dont sweat it, it can be done.That laptop will need at least 16mb of ram to run a GUI and be worth much while doing it.

it has exactly 16mb of ram, i dont know too much about linux and by the sounds of it i'm gonna learn lots while installing it never mind using it :)

You do this and you will know linux quite well, dont worry, its part of the fun.

There's some notes somewhere, not sure where about doing a floppy install with slack 3.5.I have the original CD's btw, I think edmund enterprises sells them cheap---> like 5$ shipped, at least they used to.

Hey here's another option, go here:
http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux1/

download that, and the "install to hd" part at the bottom of the page

Ive used it, its a good way to learn some basic linux skills, its small too, and based on slackware 3.5 so slack 3.5 pkgs will work.

I think your biggest problem no matter what you do will be connecting the net or a LAN if thats what your planning.Getting the right drivers for laptop stuff can be rough at times.get connected though and there isnt much limit to what you can put on that thing really.

i dont know wether am gonna bother connecting it to my network, i mean i wouldn't mind but it's like really old, currently windows 95, dont even know if the thing will be able to get an ethernet card in there

If it has a pcmia slot, yep it can take a network card or modem.

You will need a net connection to get linux on there.A floppy install only gets you so far, some of the stuff is too big for floppies.Basiclinux is small and will work, but to get X and a browser and stuff you will still need a net connection.

Ive seen a program somewhere that will split files so they can fit on a floppy, just dont know where.Linux has one called "split", but not sure if it will handle anything, it works with avi files, that Ive tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom