Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux is for say, you got a 2nd computer, you're not really doing anything with it, hey let's face it, it's a piece of junk. Well there's a computer to experiment on.
Piece of junk? The only reason that Linux can't run games is because they don't make the games for Linux.

If you actually learn to use Linux you'll realize that Windows isn't worth using for anything other than games.

You're not seeing my vision. Past servers why would anyone desire to use Linux. The only reason is because they think they're "ub3r l33t hardcor3".

It's just plain dumb to go to Linux so you can play Windows games.

You're not seeing my vision. Past servers why would anyone desire to use Linux. The only reason is because they think they're "ub3r l33t hardcor3".

sorry junior techie sodaen, but i dare you to thoroughly learn opensuse, pclinuxos and ubuntu, and then just try tellin me people wouldn't use linux.

as for gaming, for games that do support linux, they run way better just by doing something as simple as installing icewm or another lightweight window manager and switch to it for gaming.

i installed icewm in ubuntu for playing ut and ut2k4, and just sitting at the desktop with no programs running was using like 8 mb RAM, im talkin single digit megs being used. windows hasnt been able to do that since like win95! and ut2k4 with ballistic pack AND full graphics ran smoothly, and i haven't ever been able to do that without horrible lag until i switched to linux.

and for the last part, i don't think it's because people think they're "ub3r l33t hardcor3" that they use linux, for most people at least it's because theyre don't want a slow , glitchy, virus infested O/S that costs $400, but is worth 0.

Past servers why would anyone desire to use Linux? The only reason is because they think they're "ub3r l33t hardcor3".

I strongly disagree with your first statement, but I agree with your last one.

People use linux because:

-Its free (free as in freedom and free as in beer :D)
-No viruses, bugs, insecurities, ect
-99% of the programs for it are free
-Support for linux through the ubuntu forums will kick the *** of anything you'll get calling Microsoft.
-Its faster
-Its lighter

Linux is a better OS in every way except gaming.

Thank you very much you very leet person, super techie, kpmwrestler.

I'll tell you why people don't use Linux. Because you Linux people scare people away from Linux. Your very irritating banter is another example of what is making people shy away from Linux. It's your type of person that doesn't want to help a person with the Linux basics.

Well, lightweight = ugly, you Linux people gotta work on that first. Also the numerous crashes with KDE, a good looking interface. Of course, Gnome I prefer. Very good looking with minimal crashes and not heavy heavy memory usage.

You people who use Linux as your primary computer that you use for everything, you make me laugh. Really, you do. Because I too, like you Linux people, prefer to have incompatibility, crashes (trying to emulate Windows games, or just using KDE). Sure, you might be able to do everything Windows can, but what do we have to sacrifice?

From what I know about Linux users, they always boast about themselves being so much better than other people. I go into #Linux of practically any server and see you people poking fun at "newbies". Get a life, please, if you want Linux to be popular you must teach these "newbies".

As for Linux being unpopular compared to Windows, you have the following to do in order to change it:

1. Easy Installation (accomplished on some Linux OSs)
2. Easy network setup, perhaps even dialup
3. Help people who know nothing about Unix
4. Create a GUI application to change EVERYTHING
5. More drivers
6. Each open-source program pre-compiled for easy download and install

All in all, less command prompt. You people are trying, but you're not even coming close. I'm a terminal dude, and I know why people don't like my side of the coin. I can see why people don't like Linux, there's still much terminal reliance.

Oh and, you just totally got trolled. YHBTYHLHAND.

I don't like your documentation as well. Check out FreeBSD's documentation, it's so organized, very good stuff. That's what you guys lack, documentation. When setting up some Linux systems I ended up looking up how it was done on FreeBSD to do it. Documentation fails.

1. Easy Installation (accomplished on some Linux OSs)
2. Easy network setup, perhaps even dialup
3. Help people who know nothing about Unix
4. Create a GUI application to change EVERYTHING
5. More drivers
6. Each open-source program pre-compiled for easy download and install

You just defined the Ubuntu OS ;)

I have never, -never- come across a more helpful forum than the ubuntu forums...they've published some very newbie-friendly books on Ubuntu, too.

I don't think of myself as 1337, ****, I don't even use the word. I help people whenever I can. I have to disagree on your judgment of linux users. Hang around ubuntuforums.com for one day and that part of your opinion will change so ****ing drastically. Just go into the beginner's forum...problems are adressed usually with single digit minutes and the people are outrageously helpful. Much more so than any windows user, and usually more knowledgable than MSs phone tech support.

My computer has never crashed to the point of restarting. Things load fast for my hardware, even with eyecandy. I rarely have trouble installing anything. I help newbs. I can easily find friendly help when I need it. I don't go around saying Windows sucks. I use Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom