Knoppix stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
Allright, let's see. I've got the Knoppix 3.4 ISO image file downloaded (I love my DSL) after trying different mirrors and finding one that ran at decent speeds (between 30 and 100 k speeds). Varified the ISO file with a MD5 Sum thingy. Burned a bootable CD and non-bootable CD (back-up in case I loose the bootable and don't wanna download the whole thing again) using Nero Ultra 6.

Now, Knoppix users, I've got a few questions. I've checked the Knoppix site, and they don't really say much. I'm curious as to the following:

1) I use Windows XP, with the (IMO) crappy default NTFS file system. I've heard Linux isn't fully compatible with NTFS (risk of data loss, etc), so should I go find out how to make a little FAT-32 partition for Linux files, or should it be okay like it is?

2) What exactly happens when you boot from the CD? Is there some sort of setup phase? I know it doesn't install to the harddrive (despite the possibility of doing so), and it's supposed to be completely off the CD, but there's gotta be SOME things put on the harddrive, right? Like settings and config files and such? Linux-only files? (One of the reasons I'm concerned about the NTFS thing).

3) If I shut down the comp and boot it back up WITHOUT the CD, will it go back to booting WinXP like normal (provided I set BIOS to boot from the harddrive again)?

4) Just HOW MUCH Linux will I need to know to use this? Does it start out in GUI mode, or will I need to familiarize myself with Linux commands first (which I plan to do VERY SOON either way)?

I don't know how many of you out there use Knoppix or are familiar with it, but any and all comments are appreciated!! I'd like to find out as much as I can before trying this.

I'm trying to take all the necessary precautions, as this is my only GOOD computer, and I don't wanna mess anything up or lose anything...

I use Knoppix STD and PHLAK. Since these are live CD's, everything runs off of the CD. You can mount the hard drive, but don't have to. Any programs that need to be run load into RAM from the CD.

You're right, Linux does not like partitions formatted with NTFS. I've been told that I can copy stuff off of my hard drive, but that I shouldn't try writing anything to the hard drive if it's NTFS.

Make sure that your BIOS is set to check the CD drive before your hard drive. The BIOS will see the bootable disk, and run off of that. It will go through a setup, where it automatically detects most of your hardware. It won't do anything with your hard drive. Then when you're done, and you reboot your machine without the CD, it will boot normally into XP.

Both PHLAK and Knoppix STD started in a GUI for me. Right clicking on the desktop will bring up a menu that is kind of like the start button in Winblows.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I think I'll go tinker with Knoppix now... heh heh

If I like the Knoppix stuff enough, I plan to switch to a permanent copy of Debian later on, so eventually I'm going to need at least two FAT-32 partitions... but that can wait for now. Might make one soon anyway, to loosen up WinXP dependency a bit.

I forgot about that option in Knoppix. But, in that case, then you're going to have to have another partition to install on anyways, unless you want to get rid of XP completely.

You may want to look into getting a working EXT3 partition setup, if you go all pro with linux.

Every partition you make can have a different format. I really wouldn't recommend using FAT-32 with Linux. If you do go for a dual boot option read up very carefully on how to partition the disk in preparation. The are issues with the way XP uses available disk space on the XP partition, which will typically be all the disk. If you partition you current space you would be recommended to wipe the entire disk and start with clean installs of both OS's so that you can partition the disk appropriately before installation. If you don't you may find that parts of vital files in your XP installation no longer exist because they now reside inside another partition.

This is bad news.

Your XP installation will now be unstable at best and non-bootable at worst.

It can work though, you just need to be carefull about it.

If you install linux to use as a desktop solution with a GUI I would suggest you use ext3 on the Linux partition.

Thanks guys for all the info!

I've tried Knoppix, and so far I already like it more than XP. But I'm NOT getting rid of XP (I have lots of programs and such that I know don't have Linux ports, and for the time being, I plan to keep using them in their most stable environment (stable meaning XP, not WINE). Games in specific.

And personally, though the LiveCD stuff is cool, it would be better for me to have a solid working copy on the harddrive, but that means partitioning.

As for doing the partitioning, I'm waiting until I can finsh backing up allllll my stuff. I had plans to reinstall Windows XP soon anyway, so I'll just wait and do all that at once, so it's not as messy. And I'm putting the XP system partition as FAT-32. This NTFS stuff isn't worth it, and from what I've heard (which isn't much), NTFS has no advantages over FAT-32 in terms of simple home usage.

And EXT3 file system for the Linux partitions, got it.

Oh yes, and two more questions. Since Linux can READ NTFS, just not write it, is it safe to download Linux files using WinXP, and then use them in Linux? Right now, anything I do in Linux has to be saved on floppy........ Does anybody know if Knoppix can run a ZIP100MB driver through parallel cable?

Knoppix Linux is good stuff =P

if you try to write to an NTFS Partition the data often becomes corrupt...

it is possible to install Knoppix but I have not tinkered with that, the details can be found in the Knoppix documentation

(at least in the version I have) to write to a partition you have to remount the drive with Read/Write permissions

KNoppix is completely preconfigured and there is no setup phase, you can run Knoppix with no HDD!!!

Definately back up before you install!

With my version of Knoppix, DamnSmallLinux, you have to use another version (Insert Security) to use the NTFSresize utility, then use the cfdisk utility to resize it to what you told the other utility to resize to, set it as bootable, write the tables, and then reboot. If windows came up, no prob. If not, you've got your data at least.

Then i made another partition, ran a script to install as root, rebooted, created a password, set lilo, and i was set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom