Knoppix to solve windows prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

uchiha

In Runtime
I was pondering how to retrieve my files from my laptop. I wasnt sure where to put this...

anyway, my laptop has this wierd restarting problem. After booting, it gets past the bios and gets into windows logo, then restarts. Ive tried to use safe mode in every possible way, but it gets stuck when loading drivers, and then restarts. The windows takes up the whole partition on the drive.

Can I use knoppix to boot the system? and if I can, then will i be able to mount the existing windows partition to retrieve my files

I am going to try to do a strict OS recovery by reinstalling over the existing windows when I have a chance, but If it doesnt work, then your advice will save me alot of time!!!

Don't be so sure if your file system is NTFS. I beleive linux has problems reading it. Or pehpas it's writing... Just be sure to check beofr you spend 6 hours downloading an image (that's what it takes me on 384k DSL)

success! knoppix is awesome.

not only did I retrieve the files, knoppix 3.7 had this NTFS tool that utilized windows NTFS read/write drivers from the mounted windows partition to safely do the job.

im impressed....

Be careful though as from what I can remember the NTFS write is still experimental and not recommended

I used captive ntfs, and I thought it worked good. I have bitdefender's live cd w/ captive ntfs.

yes, most defenantly, you can copy the files to cd, external HDD, or second hdd, thats whats so great about Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom