'Intel 'Clover Trail' Atom processors won't support Linux'

danhodge

In Runtime
Just read this article on Techspot, and it got me kind of worried. Since Steam has been moving towards Linux compatibility, i was hoping it would start to kick off a bit, but this seems like a step backwards...

http://www.techspot.com/news/50173-intel-clover-trail-atom-processors-wont-support-linux.html

I'm not familiar with Atom processors (the article seems to suggest it is basically a tablet/notebooks processor), but i would like to know what this means for Linux?

Any ideas on whether this will carry on to desktop processors, and whether this will make people less likely to get Linux, or less likely to get Intel processors? Obviously there is still the AMD option, but a lot of people still seem to have a lack of trust for AMD, so less people using Linux seems to be the result of this, as opposed to Intel taking any losses.

Also, if this did occur with the next line of desktop processors, would you convert to AMD, or ditch Linux?

Thanks a lot,
Danny

That is definitely reassuring! Is that because more people use Linux on servers and desktops more than laptops?

The lack of linux support is likely due to the PowerVR gpu they are using, in the past getting drivers for them in linux was problematic.

Back
Top Bottom