I need wireless help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf5460

Fully Optimized
yah gameguru promised me help when i got unbuntu up and running so I am here for wireless card help since this computer connects wirelessly.

Ok, first things first.

Wireless card.

What kind of wireless card do you have? USB, PCI, PCMIA? What brand and model name.

You will also need the Windows drivers available.

After you get all of that, download ndiswrapper:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/debian/

I think Ubuntu uses debian based packages but I am not sure...Unpack the folder and put it somewhere where you can get to it from the CLI (command line interface aka console).

Get that far first.

Sorry to barge in, but I also need help GURU. I have a D-Link DWL-120 11mbps Wireless USB Adapter.

Ok, after you have downloaded ndiswrapper and put the file in it's pace...where you can get to it from the CLI:

Open the CLI and type

cd /directory (directory being the location of ndiswrapper).

*Note: Untar it first.

Ok, then type:

make

And then

make install

You might need to get kernel sources installed for this, so if you get an error go into a package manager and look for Kernel sources, and then install them.

After that, insert the Windows drivers into the CD drive.

Open it in My Computer or whatever and locate the .inf file drivers for YOUR card. Copy them to the desktop.

Then, go back into the CLI and type ndiswrapper -i /locationoftheinf

Type modprobe ndiswrapper and then the lights on the card should come up.

Now, you need to enter the WEP key if you have one and then ssid.

ifconfig wlan0 essid "blah"

ifconfig wlan0 key open (or restricted) "213412341234"

ok then man i will print this out and do it once internet and power gets more reliable because my DSL is not working because my phonelines went out again which was wierd.
**** hurricane :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom