getting started in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i have the partition all set-up. the problem is when i go to install FC, it tells me that i need a "root partition". i have no clue what that is or how to create one. any help would be awesome.

thanks

A root partition is a partition with the symbol of "/" ,its the very top of the filesystem tree, look up about 4 posts, I mentioned it there too.Root is where all the system files for the OS are installed, files and software available to both the user and system are stored in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

Navigate to google and look up linux partitions, also goto to REDHATS site and find some newbie info, if you want to run linux your going to have to learn about it, there isnt any other way.Your also going to have to learn some basic unix commands and how a computer works, no way around that either.

To create a patition scheme, boot up fedora core, navigate to where it will either let you make partitoons or log in as root and run "fdisk /dev/hda"

as unbelieveable as it may seem, i installed suse 9.1 and everything seems to be working awesome. i have the dual-boot running, and all my documents are still here:D

one question though. when i make the windows full-size, all the stuff goes off the screen. the resolution in linux is set for 1024*768. my default res on my computer is also 1024*768, so i'm a bit confused why it's doing this...

any tips?
thanks

Sounds like your xserver is set so that windows can exceed the actual desktop space.I have no clue in Suse how to change this other than reconfiguring your xserver, and I also dont know if Suse uses x.org or xfree86.

i have to use it at 800*600 to get everything to fit, and then everything gets all chunky and blurry :(

you have an nvidia video card, did you install the nvidia drivers?

go to nvidia.com and download them then install and follow the instructions.

where can i find YOU in suse 9.1? i've only found yast, which doesn't seem to have the things i want

I recently purchased Linux Network Admin Guide(OReilly) and Running Linux(OReilly). They are both good but now I have a million questions.LOL. Thanks kostas for your great links, I have been reading the lessons and to you horndude, glad your here, you clear up many difficult areas for someone new. Maybe somehow we should get selected threads pinned because this single thread provides a great deal of reference and information needed by us. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom