Gentoo LiveCD on a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

andydude117

Baseband Member
I downloaded the Gentoo LiveCD, burnt it, and booted it up, but when it's booting, like, in the middle of it, it stops and says "livecd root #" and I don't know what to do. I don't really know too much about linux, so I didn't want to install it, so I figured I'd try this LiveCD thing.

Thanks,
Andy

whats the gentoo website say?

sounds to me like it booted up just fine and left you with a command line prompt

Well, there isn't much on the website about the LiveCD, they make it seem like you hit enter, and BAM, your there.

gee, that doesnt suprise me, well your on a mac, and linux on a mac is a pretty rare sight these days, especially with OS X being standard on macs

your going to need some command line skills to figure out what to do,cant help you with that

If you dont use any stage tarballs, you will have to compile and configure the whole kernel yourself, starting with partitioning. You will need to configure your internet settings to get portage to download certain files on the fly if you dont have the universal livecd. Assuming you have the universal livecd, I suggest you start with a stage3 installation that has a preconfigured kernel, X server and a window manager if you want. Stage 3 should be for you if you are just starting linux, but just starting linux means stay away from gentoo. I made that mistake a few months ago. Start with a distro that has a graphical installer like mandrake ppc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom