GeForce 4 MX 4000 Driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

silence782

In Runtime
I've been having the damnedst time getting my GeForce 4 MX 4000 card to work under fedora core 4 recently. (The core I use curently is the 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4) When I first used fedora core 4, I was able to load the nvidia drivers with no problem. Now though when I go through the installation, no dice. I've heard rumors that Nvidia dropped support for the 4000 series card recently. Does anyone else know if this is true?

Thanks.

thats false, the nvidia drivers are just kinda flakey. i use the debian drivers. unfortunately ... that doesnt solve your problem.

have you read the documentation?

What errors or problems are you getting? I think that you might have had an older Kernel the first time, and the 2.6 might have done something to support of older cards. However, I doubt that as many people out Linux on older machines.

Anyways, how are you going about the process and what errors are you getting? I spend a while getting my 6800 GT to get running.

I've tried an older core, I've tried older version of the drivers, I've read through the online manual for the nvidia drvers, and still get the same result. The drivers load okay, but when I log onto linux, just after the nvidia screen displays, it freezes up. I'm reall too much of a linux n00b to be able to figure anything out on my own. lol

Have you changed the driver name to nvidia like the directions say? That might be the problem.

do this, and this exactly
goto nvidia.com and download THEIR drivers
have a kernel source installed on your system as well as gcc and everything needed to compile kernel modules

get out of X and into console mode

run this command: sh ./NVIDIA<whatever their driver file is called> and run their driver script, it will compile a kernel module and install it into your kernel modules

if you havent run xorgconfig then do so and select generic nvidia driver, "nv"

then follow the instructions in their README file that comes with it----------this involves editing the xorg.conf file, it isnt difficult--just change the driver module name from "nv" to "nvidia" and uncomment(remove "#") load "glx"

then restart X and **POOF** thats all there is to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom