Gaming on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
I'm thinking about getting an install of Linux for myself. But being a gamer, I'd like to be able to play all of my games on Linux. I saw a copy of Madrake Gaming Edition on Amazon for $40 (I know I can get it for free, just bear with me), but it comes with WineX, which I know now you need a $5 per month subscription to. I want to get Mandrake Linux, since its easier to use, and I know 9.1 is free to download or $10 to buy, but I need a recommendation as to what I should download for it to play windows games. I know Virtual PC is good, but where can I download one from? Can anybody give me a recommendation or a link?

In my most humble opinion, and as much as I hate to say it. Stick with windows for windows games. Linux is not a gamers OS. its coming around but for a serious gamer. stick with windows.

On the other hand I encourage you to download and try Linux, learn it and learn to love it.

Okay. I'll probably either buy a lower end PC and use it on their, or just look into doing a triple boot on my existing PC. I can install it to an external HD, right?

Well, it would be a nice experiment to use linux + winex as a gaming OS........go for it, if it doesnt work out switch back to M$ Winxp....

On the winex website, it says it only supports 80 or so games, not quite what I'm looking for, especially since I presume that all of these games are fairly new and popular to get that kind of support. I still might try it, though, and just install it over my Windows 98 partition, since I hardly use that anyway. Maybe I'll still get it...

There arent many games supported under linux, natively or otherwise.However, the games that are made for linux ARE very very good.

if your planning to play any games for windows and not supported by a windows emulator and dont want to give these games up, then your better off with windows for awhile.....

edit:i thought about using linux as my OS for my computer, but the whole game compatability issue comes into play...still planning on TRYING it though....since i did go out and buy SUSE 9.2 64 bit edition........

edit:however if its not supported by a windows sim, you can always see if they make a linux edition....

I'll probaly just install it on my current pc and then dual boot on my next comp. Hopefully in the next few years Linux will become more windows-compatible and pick up a more mainstream user-base. My hope is that an edition will come out that is able to fully emulate a windows environment (seamlessly) when required to by a program.

I like gaming as well and I gotta tell you stick with windows for games but the dual bot is a good idea, I have a dual boot going and I like it very much, I was going to get Cedega(formerly winex) but then I found out that you must pay 5 bucks a month which I think is absolutely crazy for a free (GNU) OS. There are VERY VERY good games for linux though too. I like America's Army, Return to Castle Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament 2k4, and Doom 3, ALL VERY GOOD GAMES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom