FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Don't know if it should be here or in the BSD secion. Move as you see fit.

I am in the process of turning my Atom 330 ITX home file server upside down and inside out. :lol:

Anywhoo, I am looking into FreeBSD, after Saxon suggested it to me.

My envision is to drop my WD 20GB IDE HDD (currently running Ubuntu) and just run off a USB Flash drive. I also am getting a new slimmer case, and size is limited.

But the reason for the switch, I don't need Open Office, media players, games, even FF.

I have successfully installed FreeBSD on my VirtualBox. But now, I am unsure how to go about this further. Install stuff, look up different things.

I am planning to run this server headless, after install, of course.

I have 2 storage drives, both WD 640GB SATA HDDs. I have different files on each. One for movies, other for everything else. I need to share this over the network. HTTP is what I want to share by. Go to Window's Network list.

If I think of something else, I'll post it.

How do you fancy installing, via the package system or compiling from source?

Edit oh you don't just have to install from the main tree you can use -

http://www.freshports.org/ Some of the newer more experimental builds end up in there before they get committed to release handy for new features.

What packages would you recommend? From my needs above.

This may not be important, but I tried to run StartX, and it wouldn't run. Now, I know I installed that... but, maybe I just don't need this.

If it's running headless you wont need X.

Well how do you want to share files round the network, something like a mapped drive?

Like so:

network.png.jpg

This is the easiest way for me and my dad to connect to the drives. I've used Samba on Ubuntu to share it over the network.

If there is a way to remotely connect to it, I use VNC to Ubuntu atm.

I understand the imstall, nowadays, your computer will just see the flash drive as a hdd. So installation is somewhat the same.

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "remote backup", but I need to get and send files. Unless that is what they are talking about.

Now that I think of it, how do you log into it when headless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom