Fedora Core 3 with SATA & nforce4

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyrunner50

Beta member
I am trying to install Fedora core 3 on my computer in a dual boot setup. I have never installed Linux, nor have I even seen it in operation (other than the time I played around with Knopix for an hour or so).

Here is my current setup:
AMD FX-53
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (nforce4)
ATI X800 XT PCI-E
1gig (2x512mb) Kingston PC3200 @2-2-2-5
NEC ND-3500A DVD-RW
Seagate ST380817AS 2x80gig SATA Hard drives
Audigy 2 ZS

I have XP Pro currently set up on one of my hard drives. The other hard drive I am going to use for Linux. I have several problems though..

1. Do I need to reserve some space on my primary disk (that currently has XP Pro) for the boot loader..or can I do it without having to resize the XP partition?

2. When I get to the section where I am supposed to partition the drive, it says it can't find any hard drives. I figured it would be like the XP setup where it asks you to load any RAID/SATA drivers you might have...but there was nowhere to do that. How do I load the drivers so that Fedora can see the drives (my motherboard uses the Sil 3114 chip)?

3. Is there an nForce4 driver for Linux?

1. No, Gurb the linux boot loader will get installed on the mbr. When you start windows just select it and that will launch the windows boot loader to launch the windows kernel. No need to make space if you have a 2nd drive with space for the os.

2. I never got that advanced before but I'm guessing when you go have the installation options (grapical or text) you may have to enter it there.

3. check out the HCL on red hats web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom