which is best for fedora 3 (ext2, ext3, swap) ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sten

Baseband Member
which file system should I format my parttion to install linux FC3
ext2,ext3 or swap. Thanks for any tips
Sten

reiserJFS if possible, if not ext3 or ext2 is fine

make swap=double ram size up to 256mb, and its a separate partition

you will need a minimum of 2 partitions, one for the OS and user, and one for swap(temp place for OS to use when ir runs out of ram)

Ths for the tip, but I dont have reiserjfs on the pull down menu from partition magic to format, so i'll try ext3. Thanks again

I don't think the JFS filesystem is supported by Fedora yet, not sure but a month ago I read somewhere that it was not. I would use ext3 to be on the safe. Just my opinion.

Do you really see a difference between file systems. ext3 is the journal version of ext2. If I want to have a journalizing file system I would go with ext3. It is proven. I thought reiserJFS was supported by Red Hat before fedora came out.

I currently am running FC3 and it looks like the only logical filesystems are ext2 and 3. I stand corrected. But they arn't bad choices.

Why would you use ext2? With no journaling, it is really unsafe to keep data on it, as any power failure or accidental reboot will wipe your partition. Reiserfs IS actually supported with Fedora core 3, but you can't format it as ReiserFS. You would have to have it already formatted and then use that. Judging from the first post in the topic, I'm guessing it would be good to explain why you need a swap.

In winblows (because it does), it locks part of your partition into a "virtual disk" that it uses as extended RAM when a program fills up all of your RAM. The thing with this is the sysadmin has no control over where this ends up being on the disk and it can really frag up your drive. So Linux creates a separate partition for the swap space, and formats it as such so your OS can figure out where it is. It's really a slick concept!

One other piece of advise. If you're serious about getting into Linux, make a separate partition for /home. That way if you need to reformat, or you switch to a different flavor of Linux you can keep all the files in your /home folder safe!

On my file server I made a /share mount to store all of my files incase of a meltdown. NFS is slick, except when the daemon isn't started.

I wish the gui was more functional, but it is a command line OS. Bash is you best friend in Linux.

you dont have to setup a swap partition with linux, but its the customary way of doing it, it is possible and quit easy to make a swap file on the primary partition and use that, just like you can allocate sections of RAM, you could make a swap file in RAM if you wanted too

any journaled filesystem is the way to go, ive had power failures before, and on one occasion it messed up my ext2 partition beyond repair, worst thing with a resierJFS is you have to rebuild the journal tree after a power failure, and thats easy

depends on which GUI NIN, there's about 7 or 8 good ones these days, if you cant find one you like I dunno what to tell you, everything from very spartan to windows like to what windows is heading towards in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom