Anyway to image a drive to another drive with Ubuntu and XP partions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UA_Iron

Daemon Poster
This is the question I have - is there a utility out there that will let me take what's on my 40gb hd (an XP partition and an Ubuntu partition) and image it over to my 74gb raptor?

It'll probably copy over the partitions exactly, but I could use another utility to expand the size of the partitions to use up the free space.

Will gparted do this?

Several things here...

FOG is a FANTASTIC imaging solution. In fact, I'm currently uploading an image to my FOG server behind me as we speak. But there's several things about FOG. Only single partitions are automatically resized. You could always try imaging it as a multiple partition image and then later use GParted to expand the partitions accordingly. Also something else I'm curious with FOG that I recently asked on the FOG forums is, when you image a computer you have to associate an OS type to it. The options are 2k/XP, Vista, Linux, etc... I was never sure what to do when you would use "both" Linux AND Windows in dual boot... We'll see what they say on the forums when my post gets answered, though.

But FOG typically needs a computer set up to be a "server". It's geared towards huge deployments, where a spare computer to come by is pretty easy.

I personally would recommend Clonezilla LiveCD. You could copy the entire hard drive "as is" and later use GParted to resize your partitions accordingly.

I love FOG and will always recommend that over Clonezilla Server, because I spent months trying to get CZ Server running and couldn't. In an hour, I had FOG running as a server. But Clonezilla LiveCD is REALLY good if you just need to back up an image to an external hard drive or something of that sort.

I really appreciate your guys' help. I ended up using R-drive image and imaged each partition over. It worked...kind of. The ubuntu partition was good, but the XP partition was fubar.

It's alright though, I just reinstalled ubuntu on the new drive on one partition.

FOG looks really powerful. I wasn't going to start digging into it to learn how to use it though.

Thanks again!

FOG looks really powerful. I wasn't going to start digging into it to learn how to use it though.

FOG isn't that hard to use, but there are several things to understand about it before jumping in head first. I spent about 30 minutes reading posts on the FOG forums and about an hour actually tinkering with uploading/deploying an image.

FOG is incredibly powerful and I look forward to using it more and more as we get more computers in this summer and have to reimage already existent labs. I can't believe I survived without it before.

I have found HDClone does a beautiful job. I regularly clone my dual boot XP/PCLinuxOS 250 Gig Western Digital. I will some times use Gparted to change partition sizes. HDClone will automatically adjust the size if your cloning to a larger or smaller drive. Seagate have a partitioning / cloning tool available for download. I believe its actually Acronis when you look at it.
DiscWizard | Seagate
Acronis does a good job resizing partitions but i have not had much luck using it for cloning.

Yeah, Seagate and Acronis are in bed together with making a custom, but less feature packed version of their titled Acronis software that does the job any typical user backing up their own system would find to be useful.

That's pretty cool and a way for Seagate to drag in a couple more sales since it's very enticing to customers, but I'm just too stuck in my open source uniform ways to even consider trying it - and I even run Seagate drives.

I use a bunch of different programs for different things.

Clonezilla Live - to back up my dual boot system.
FOG - to mass image Windows machines. (I've heard rumors mac and linux support is projected for the future)

If I had to mass clone Linux machines, I'd probably look into Ghost 4 Linux, but so far being in a Windows environment at work I haven't had need to look at anything else since the 2 needs I have for imaging are answered with the 2 programs above.

Glad to hear you're utilizing some sort of imaging software though. I can't tell you how helpful it was when my system crashed and I was able to at LEAST push my Vista image back to my computer via Clonezilla Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom