At witz end! Who actually knows, set me straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monolith

Solid State Member
Well, I WAS pretty excited to get into the IT stuff this fall...

I wanted to get a 2yr degree in Information Technology, and focus on networking...eventually hoping to become a network administrator at some company someday...making a 'nice' pay in the process. Reading online about how eventually i could earn around 30-50 hr$ which sounds good to me. In the mean time of going to school, I'd plan on getting a crap load of certs, just to have more of a great resume when applying for jobs. I know it take hard work , and im ready and dedicated.

I was planning on signing up at ITT tech and getting a 2 year associates in Informatin technology, focusing on network stuff. I WAS excited that i finally figured out what i was going to do.

NOW, im back to square 1. :(

Im VERY depressed now. Reading on specifically 'THESE' forums, the IT market is crappy???...and no one is even hiring!!!??? Hearing 'this' from people that are where i plan on being a few years from now is very confusing and makes me feel sad.

From what i have read...either your lucky* and have landed that great, high paying job and have been working in the field for 6+ years now (for an example) or your a poor low-class nothing in the industry becuase no one is hiring even though you worked your butt off to get where you are....and the world is ending soon:(

just locally HERE in minnesota, i scanned the job seeker sites, and found a bunch of 'computer' related jobs...some paying very decent...50-70k a year. Just wanting experience, and maybe a 2 yr degree...some wanted A+ certification.

Can someone set me straight?>

I am a total newbie to this IT industry stuff but not a newbie to computers...as in building, fixing, etc.
Its kinda hard to get excited about 'nothing' and i dont want to set myself up for a big let down.

Also, another quickie: Is ITT Tech THAT BAD? everyone says that Itt tech and devry and places like that are a waste of time and money and wont mean ANYTHING on paper. People actually say that degrees from these places are so worthless that you'll get laughed out of the company when you apply...not jsut a few people either. If that is actually true then wouldnt the word spread about these tech schools and wouldnt they just dry up? it doesnt make sense. They also say that it worthless and i should get a REAL degree, aka a big state university. These are REAL and tech schools are meaningless? OK, who is right and what is just Bull...

People have always told me that it doesnt matter WHERE you go, just as long as you have *experience, and have that *degree...2yrs or 4yrs, either one is good. I really find it hard to believe that things are so black and white and that people have overnight, up and decided that 'these things people paid money for and worked hard to complete are suddenly worthless...' WHY? just because YOU are spread the word that they arent any good, or are they actually going to laugh at you?

or maybe im getting into the wrong field? i love the idea of being in charge of a the computer systems at a company and that stuff. I love fixing and repairing and assemblying computers. I also love website work, but havent done anything in programming in forever.

i planned on registering at itt tech tomorrow, but obviously im not going to...ill wait.

Advice? Feed me more bad news? tell me to get out now before i get sucked in? or ignore it all and jsut work my way up and it will work out just fine? i just have no clue anymore.

Reading on specifically 'THESE' forums, the IT market is crappy???...and no one is even hiring!!!???
I have not found that sentiment to be true. Unfortunately, there have been quite a few people on here that insist otherwise. I think the job market is fine. If you're curious about job availability, check job postings on Dice.com or Monster.com for employment in your area. That will always be more of indicator than the posters on this forum.

Is ITT Tech THAT BAD? everyone says that Itt tech and devry and places like that are a waste of time and money and wont mean ANYTHING on paper.
There have been quite a few university students posting negative messages on here about ITT and DeVry. I would probably ignore most of those posts, but I've also heard from several former ITT students that they are dissatisfied with the institution. As far as industry recognition, I can't really say. Every company is different. I do know that ITT is quite expensive, and you could probably get your associate degree from a state college much cheaper.

People have always told me that it doesnt matter WHERE you go, just as long as you have *experience, and have that *degree...2yrs or 4yrs, either one is good.
It's not quite as simple as that, but close. Many large employers have corporate directives requiring a candidate to have a degree before even granting an interview, while smaller companies tend to be more flexible and lenient. That's not always the case, but it is something I've observed to be true in several instances. That said, experience is far more important than the degree. However, having both experience and a degree can only help you.

I graduated from ITT in 04 with an Associates in Computer Network Systems. Took my two years to land a good job. I was self employed ate the time so I was a little selective when looking.Yes, it is expensive. VERY expensive. And yes, you can also get a similar curriculum at a local state or tech college. BUT, if you graduate from a local school, it is known there, but maybe not in another state. ITT is known everywhere. Yes there are good and bad about every school and ITT is no different. I got a fast paced education and a very good general knowledge and some very in depth knowledge in certain areas. I suggest you expand your job search and see what is out there. Don't rush to enroll anywhere until you have a clear path in your mind. Then start classes, get certs, take a crappy PC repair job or an internship or whatever to get that experience. My first real computer job was simply installing software, upgrading PC's and running CAT-5 on a barge. THAT was different. Now I am the assistant IT director at a local hospital. Not the most money I havfe ever made, but it has great benefits and I will soon be taking over the director's position which means a large pay increase. Along with more hours...

thanks for your info guys...

Im going to take my placement test next tuesday after work and attend DCTC, a local tech college. Im going to ignore the bad fuss about tech schools and whatnot...obviously a big university would look better on my resume when applying for a job. Yale university would look better then ITT Tech...duh! So im back to being optimistic and im just gonna do my own thing and go about things at my own slow pace.

Im going for Network administration...setup/installing/repairing/managing networks at companies...sounds fun and challenging! i cant wait!

any advice? where to start,maybe what books to read up on? i bought a couple of books at barnes and noble yesterday and started getting into the learning/studying mode! so far im studying two books:

A+ certifcation
and
Networking for dummies...hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom