Where to start with Certs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tractorboy said:
OK Yes, may have been harsh, sorry, though not any worst then saying using Transcender is cheating. I am a big fan of college, though it is not the only answer. I do not know if you were around then, but when Reagon was presisdent, those were some of the most prosperous times this country ever saw and probably never will again, you know why ? it was the begining of the computer era, people were getting entry level computer jobs and making more then their counterparts that were college educated or would be in college for another 3-4 years, and doing it sooner. Those days have passed by and never will be back. I think , yes you are right, they do look for college, certification and experience. I have seen a floor that was filled with over flowed faxes for just one tech opening. They do not read all those faxes, they just look through for key elements. I think above it all the employers wants someone that can hit the floor running . I have gone on interviews where I sat acros a table from 3 or 4 interviewers , that just one after the other asked rapid fire questions, to see what I knew. When it came to certification , they just asked if what was on the reume was correct and asked to see my cert card from Microsoft...i guess they checked ? that was it. What can you learn in college you can not learn on your own ? I still think that the only purpose for cert is just to get the interview, after that is up to the person being interviewed.

I agree with you, those days are long gone. Now we are left with IT people who have no college degrees making a lot of money and they tell kids they dont need college etc. Which is totally wrong. If you want a REAL job in IT, you must have a 4 year degree now a days. Even with a 4 year degree its very hard to get into IT because of all the outsourcing and all the people we have qualified. Certifications in my opinion are only used to moveup in a company you're already hired into. A college degree will get you the interview. Most of these companies call you paper certified if you have all these certifications and no experience. I dont know how old you are, so you might not of had to go to college, because you somehow got your foot in the door and got the experience you needed. But for these kids coming out of highschool its going to be virtually impossible to get experience without a degree.

Colleges teaches you everything from responsibility, to hard work and dedication. Not only does the employer look at what you majored in, but i have seen people get into IT just because they had a degree, even if it was in english or something irrelivant. It just proves you can set a goal and accomplish it. Beyond all the real world experience and great education. It's something you will always have, and it goes with you everywhere.

ok I am going to make this as plain as I can.

1. I think a company does not really care what degrees or certs you have or how you arrived at the position you are at

2. They are only concerned if you can do the job ...and maybe bring in donuts once in awhile.

I have to admit without the certification or degrees its hard to get an interview, I think collecting certs has gotten blown way out of porportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom