Where to start with Certs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianthekiller

Baseband Member
This is my dilemma:

I had the misfortune of having no clue what to do after high school. I just really wasn't that "in" to anything. More or less a slacker. I went to college for a year doing some general studies type coursework, and then my mom talked me in to doing nursing school. I ended up dropping it about half way through because it was NOT what I wanted to do with my life. Since then, I've gotten certified as a personal trainer and that's getting me by for now, but nothing I can see myself making a career of. Now, I'd like to get a job in the hardware end of the computer industry. I need a job that's more steady because I'll be moving to Atlanta and supporting myself completely in less than a year. I know the A+ certification is a good place to start. Are there any reputable online courses that I can get this from? I think that I can get it through my local community college, but I don't have the time to finish it before I'd have to move. I need to learn the information as quickly as possible and get certified. Should a technician with just an A+ cert. be able to support himself decently? Also, what other certifications could I get that would compliment the A+ and possibly make me more marketable and warrant a higher pay? Thanks a million for any help.

brianthekiller said:
This is my dilemma:

I had the misfortune of having no clue what to do after high school. I just really wasn't that "in" to anything. More or less a slacker. I went to college for a year doing some general studies type coursework, and then my mom talked me in to doing nursing school. I ended up dropping it about half way through because it was NOT what I wanted to do with my life. Since then, I've gotten certified as a personal trainer and that's getting me by for now, but nothing I can see myself making a career of. Now, I'd like to get a job in the hardware end of the computer industry. I need a job that's more steady because I'll be moving to Atlanta and supporting myself completely in less than a year. I know the A+ certification is a good place to start. Are there any reputable online courses that I can get this from? I think that I can get it through my local community college, but I don't have the time to finish it before I'd have to move. I need to learn the information as quickly as possible and get certified. Should a technician with just an A+ cert. be able to support himself decently? Also, what other certifications could I get that would compliment the A+ and possibly make me more marketable and warrant a higher pay? Thanks a million for any help.

I would say its not enough to support yourself, specially computer repair. Any job that you get without a college education your going to be skimming by barly. Inflation is up and the cost of living is on the rise. If you still want to just skim by I would get the A+ and Network+ then you will want to zero in on what position in the computer market you want. Security, networking etc.

I'm really not in a position to obtain a degree right now. I'll need to work full time in order to survive, and that will rule out school for the time being. After my girlfriend completes her education, I'll hopefully be able to work part time and go to school if she's pulling down enough money. Would you be kind enough to answer my questions dealing with the certifications like where do I obtain one in the first place?

You dont need a course to pass, infact for the A+ I would advise against it if you know anything about computers. A+ just simply get a book, and after you read it a couple times, do plenty practice tests online and with the books software (if it has any). Then sign yourselve up to take the test (hardware or software). At any VUE or Prom testing centers!

Re: Re: Where to start with Certs?

raross said:
I would say its not enough to support yourself, specially computer repair. Any job that you get without a college education your going to be skimming by barly. Inflation is up and the cost of living is on the rise. If you still want to just skim by I would get the A+ and Network+ then you will want to zero in on what position in the computer market you want. Security, networking etc.

Thats not true many of the people now a days are passing on collage and are getting their certifications independantly. They present the certifications when you apply and your got yourself a new job.

About this I'm also prepairing for my A+ certification. Are there any online practice tests that you can take and have the results given in email form?

Re: Re: Re: Where to start with Certs?

Tyler1989 said:
Thats not true many of the people now a days are passing on collage and are getting their certifications independantly. They present the certifications when you apply and your got yourself a new job.

About this I'm also prepairing for my A+ certification. Are there any online practice tests that you can take and have the results given in email form?

In college atleast in a 4 year college you will not be getting certifications. In todays world you honestly need a 4 year degree unless you want to always be working your ass off. Believe me it's worth it in the long run to just get your 4 year degree now then having to go back for it.

Almost all decent computer jobs will not hire you with just certifications. You need a 4 year degree. Your degree armed with your certifications will get you a good job. 4 year college proves to your employer that your dedicated and you can reach goals (obviously). Its a thing that means a lot specially in todays world. Even getting a masters would be a good thing to do to achieve the job you might want. In this guys case, no it wouldnt. But to make his life a lot easier, a 4 year college degree would help him.

BTW: I dont know of any online tests for A+. I do suggest you buy an A+ book with some practice questions contained on the CD. This will help you in your studies. Goodluck!

Something that you might consider is getting an Oracle DBA cert. It will probably take you a while but it may be worth it as far as finding a job. I have a four year degree and I'm thinking of taking a 6 class oracle DBA cert program there.

Also when you go to school know that there are federal loans and other loans available for you that will also cover your living expenses while you take class. When you are done most have a 6 month grace period before you have to start paying them back.

Is the American College of Computer & Information Sciences totally legit and credible? I've recieved a pamphlet from them, and they offer a BS in Computer Science which I may be interested in obtaining. They offer the courses online and that's perfect for somebody like me who doesn't have the time to attend a traditional school because of work and family. They also offer several certifications such as CompTIA, Microsoft, and Cisco, but, atleast for the CompTIA matierial, they charge ALOT of money to access their study matierials. $775. That may pay for testing as well, but I'm not sure. What I AM sure of is that they charge a pretty equal amount of money as a traditional school, so I'm just wanting to make sure that their degree is worth the paper it's written on. Their website is accis.edu

As always, help is appreciated

Honestly, I wouldnt know much about online degrees. I do know they will not be worth as much as a degree you would get from an actual university as you were going to class everyday. But they are defintly better then nothing, and credible. There are other online colleges you might want to look into also. You would probally have to ask someone whos actually experienced with this sort of situation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom