Is the A+ a waste of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrymnvette

In Runtime
I've already had an IT job for over 2 years. I'm more worried about the network side of things. I mean should I really waste my time/money on the A+ or should I start working on the NET+ or CCNA? What do you guys think?

I'd really like to be a Cisco expert and a security expert. I'll have my BS in a little over a year from now from a local tech school in Network Technology.

It isn't a necessity, but it never hurts to have it. More paper on the wall means more benjamins in the wallet.

A+ you only need if you have no backing of experience. your 2 years in IT more then out weights a little A+. so as it wouldnt be a waste of time for some people, in your case it would be a 110% waste of time and money.

yeah, another big vote for waste of time here.. kind of wish I'd spent the time getting something more respected myself.
The A+ is next to useless in a Corporate environment but even so some companies do require their technicians to be A+ certified and thats about the only time you'd want to bother with it.

The A+ is great for someone starting out in computers but thats about it.

It's a waste of money for someone at your level, but it's easy and adds to your certification.

For right now, concentrate on your CCNA, if you can pass the CCNA you can pass the Network+ exam. Then go on to CCNP and get paid more.

id go for the ccna. No one even cares that i have network + except for one employer i talked to. A+ is good for computer repair shops. You could knock out both A+s in less than a month thats how easy it is. I got it when i was 16 or 17 in a few weeks of studying and i was not too smart back then. Neverthe less im glad i got the net+ because it wil make ccna easier when i do that.

What's weird is that I just started working for Time Warner Cable, they start you wth $9 per hour (massive overtime available to make ends meet, lol), but once you get A+ they raise you to $17, and I have no clue why does a technician in the company need to know all that crap, but I'm working on my A+ as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom