Math???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniping_g

Beta member
Wwll im 16 yers old and going to gr 11, but i read on most job sites u need to know a lot of math to go in the math fiel but the thing is i suck at math;( but im really good with pc's is there a chance i can make it in the coputer job world??

Good at PC's as in programming them? Or you mean repair?

Anyway, as far as super math goes, if you are doing Computer Science or Engineering math is a big deal, I wouldn't say you nessarilly use all of it to extremes while programming, but ya.

SizzlinSean said:
What if you were to major in MIS, how extensive of a math knowledge base would you generally need?

For an MIS all you would need is basic calculus most likely up to calc2-3 depending upon which school. Math is not hard, anyone can do it. The more you expose yourself to it, the better you become. For programming it is very important at the practical level, which is what you should learn in 4 year school.

Computer Science majors have more requirements for math than Math majors.... I guess it's the logic required.

At lease that is true at the JC's that I have attended.

Syrillian said:
Computer Science majors have more requirements for math than Math majors.... I guess it's the logic required.

At lease that is true at the JC's that I have attended.

uhh? Math majors would be taking math classes after math classes. As a computer science major you would be taking both computer science and math classes. But the math major would be taking much more math classes, then cs.

I'm working towards my Ph.D. in EECS (Electrical Engineering & Computer Science), and it seems as if the math classes needed just for a bachelors are up in the extremely high level calculus stages. Just at the CC (community college) I'm at now, we have to get through Calc 4, and I know there will be higher math classes once I transfer over to a university.

aschmidt said:
I'm working towards my Ph.D. in EECS (Electrical Engineering & Computer Science), and it seems as if the math classes needed just for a bachelors are up in the extremely high level calculus stages. Just at the CC (community college) I'm at now, we have to get through Calc 4, and I know there will be higher math classes once I transfer over to a university.

???????? You are working towards a Ph.D. but you're in a cc????? wtf... Most schools do not even accept Major related credits from a community college. So you may have to start your 4 year degree from scratch or atleast major related credits.

The correct phrase would be you're working towards a 2 year degree but in the future you hope to get a 4 year degree then go onto grad school???/

For Computer Engineering you need elementary mathematics - compared to what math majors do. The math is obviously a lot harder than in a high school class mind you. But that doesn't say much..

I'd say the math content of Computer engineering is actually a lot easier than high school math contests. Thinking wise. But, obviously harder than "school math".

Computer Science student can make it really easy on himself (in math) or can actually get a decent math background if he or so chooses to. At least in my University (Waterloo). THey have more electives than CE students. That's why.

CE = Software / Hardware (incl. semi-conductor theory, etc.) / Signal processing / Wireless / ........
CS = Software / (.....)

Both have things like Distributed networks, AI, etc. in common..

I have a side question about college myself, is the grades in college... ALL tests/quizes, do you ever get credit for homeworks, well i asssume there are a lot of projects though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom