Looking to work with computers at retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaeusm said:
Regardless, the book covers all the "basics" of computer components and how they work. His posts seem to imply that he thinks exam preparation books contain test-taking strategies and example test questions only. The book I referenced above is over 1,000 pages and explains what each component is, how it works, etc.

yea, the A+ exam is an entry-level certification. It teaches you as if you never even opened up the case of your computer, thats as about basic as its going to get!

Yes, I was afraid that the books were slanted towards test taking strategies and sample problems. That is their advertising. Your replies are helpful.

I found the prometric text book very good, it contains much more info than you need to pass the A+, its a good starting point.

Then perhaps get the Microsoft XP pro textbook for the MCSE, that will cover everything you'll need OS wize.

If you want to learn to fix computers, just buy a cheap one, and start upgrading it. Or take it all apart and put it back together. It's not hard really, and hands on is easiest and fastest way to learn.

Check your local community college. Take a class on building/repairing PCs. I have to warn you though, it sounds like you are way behind on this. You have an uphill battle to catch up to the 12 year old living next door to you :).

You mention an engineering background...Why not look at consulting in the capacity of a Project Manager or something similar? Gain some exposure to the IT industy using the skills you have gained/used throughout your engineering career. These are skills that the kid next door doesn't have and are in high demand.

I agree with the above poster. You're competing with every kid on the block, and they've all got years of playing around with this stuff.

PC Repair is a very low level skill that is in oversupply.

The best way is hands on..THEN do the training. Get a hold of some old computer tear them down look around identify parts put it all back together make it boot, troubleshoot if it doesnt boot...Build yourself a nice cheap computer..soley for practice. This will help you learn a lot about what goes into the computers and what problems you can come across.

If you want real technical how it works stuff, I've always used Scott Muellers "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" as my reference guide when I want to know something specific. It's not really slanted towards any qualification stuff, just pure hardware stuff

Heres a link -

http://www.quepublishing.com/promotion/1626

He also has other books like Upgrading and Repairing laptops/Windows and some others.

Hope that helps!

Gigabite said:
If you want to learn to fix computers, just buy a cheap one, and start upgrading it. Or take it all apart and put it back together. It's not hard really, and hands on is easiest and fastest way to learn.

Well, this is a start, but it won't teach you how to diagnose a problem, or how to fix a problem once you have it isolated (unless that problem is faulty hardware). It's a good suggestion, but not a complete strategy.

I used the all-in-one linked above while studying for my A+ exam, and it's a great book. I would highly recomend you pick it up for the troubleshooting and repair information it gives.

If you want hands on, buy yourself a cheap computer from a local computer store. Look for one of the smaller ones, not a big chain store. I find the ones in my area often have "surprise" computers for sell for quite cheap. They don't know what's in them, and neither will you untill you crack it open, but that's the perfect computer to open up, poke around in, and make changes to without fear of ruining a $1000+ piece of machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom