Females in IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of the aviation field.. We need more women too! heh I'm a graduate of embry-riddle and the ratio was and still is just terrible.

I haven't really noticed this, I did work experience with my mother, who is a computing lecturer at uni, where I met several female techs :p Then again that was only a week I was there.

I'm in Wisconsin and there are definitely wayyyyyyyyyyyy more males than females in IT.

This is just a note, everyone. Let's keep it civil and leave the sexism and politics out of the discussion.

Back on topic:

There aren't a ton of women in IT in my experience. It seems like the ones that I've worked with, though, really know their stuff and are pretty cool people.

This is just a note, everyone. Let's keep it civil and leave the sexism and politics out of the discussion.

True, cuz this whole thread is just bait for my arsenal of sexist jokes. I better leave before I get banned.

Females in IT are not rare sight over here in the west coast. I don't know what percentage they build up here where I live, but I can tell you this much, a woman is more likely to sit down and read the manual from left to right and be very delicate with the hardware.

Of course, the emotional content is different. So, really, I think it's a matter of there qualifications and ability to work on a piece of equipment and the ability of the employer to see that they are indeed a capable individual.

With that said, a lot of the reason why I became interested in computers was behind my mother and father, mother worked for McDonald Douglas and NASA, then apart of there engineering/rocket division, she had to quit because of the military involvement with a recent move to her new department.

I think IT is still dominated more by males than females, but only because of leftover bigoted stereotypes of what women should and shouldn't do.
Yes most peeps would agree about the whole dude-chick equality thing, but there's still a lot of pressure on females to be femmenine (or however you spell that). IT is just not seen by the wider community as a girly thing. For instance, if I said to picture and average geek you'd probably think of a GUY.

From my experience most of us ladies know our way around a computer - secretarial speaking of course! We do our stint and then go and have babies. I would love to understand more technical stuff, it doesn't frighten me but I am so far behind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom