A+ Exam!

Chasee

Baseband Member
Hey guys, just a few more questions.

So, I really want to take the A+ exam so that I can land a better paying entry-level job that pays more. IE: Desktop Support. The thing is, there is so much to study! I'm sure very many of you have taken this test, would you be able to tell me what the test really magnifies on? Or focuses on more or less?

Also, I recently signed the papers to move out on my own, and man am I stressed! The thing is, I don't really feel the need to pursue a big education at some fancy university, I just don't have the money or guts to really do that.. so, from a successful person's perspective, do you think that I could make adequate money with hard work and dedication? Also, I hope to have experience, 2 certs, and an associates degree in Computer Science from a community college.

Sorry for all the questions. The big bad world is really creeping up on me and to be honest I'm very nervous for what's to come. I really want to land an entry level job guys! I don't want to work in fast food for very much longer. :(

Please, any helpful comments or advice are welcomed. Thank you.

Hey guys, just a few more questions.

So, I really want to take the A+ exam so that I can land a better paying entry-level job that pays more. IE: Desktop Support. The thing is, there is so much to study! I'm sure very many of you have taken this test, would you be able to tell me what the test really magnifies on? Or focuses on more or less?

Also, I recently signed the papers to move out on my own, and man am I stressed! The thing is, I don't really feel the need to pursue a big education at some fancy university, I just don't have the money or guts to really do that.. so, from a successful person's perspective, do you think that I could make adequate money with hard work and dedication? Also, I hope to have experience, 2 certs, and an associates degree in Computer Science from a community college.

Sorry for all the questions. The big bad world is really creeping up on me and to be honest I'm very nervous for what's to come. I really want to land an entry level job guys! I don't want to work in fast food for very much longer. :(

Please, any helpful comments or advice are welcomed. Thank you.
A+ is a lot of information. I mean a lot! But don't stress over it. You don't have to get every single question right to pass. Since the test is 2 exams I would take it one at a time. Worry about the 801 and don't get caught up in the 802 stuff. Watch Professor Messers Videos on Youtube, They go through the objectives in order.

As far as jobs go I have an A+ and an associates degree from a community college and I'm making 38k a year. That's about 19 an hour. Now I know that's not amazing but I'm 23 years old, feel comfortable, and am working towards the 4 year. You might have to get a 4 year degree later on but don't think for a second that you won't find something better. You have to show in your interviews that you are passionate about IT and about bettering yourself.

Go for it dude, I'm rooting for you.

A+ is a lot of information. I mean a lot! But don't stress over it. You don't have to get every single question right to pass. Since the test is 2 exams I would take it one at a time. Worry about the 801 and don't get caught up in the 802 stuff. Watch Professor Messers Videos on Youtube, They go through the objectives in order.

As far as jobs go I have an A+ and an associates degree from a community college and I'm making 38k a year. That's about 19 an hour. Now I know that's not amazing but I'm 23 years old, feel comfortable, and am working towards the 4 year. You might have to get a 4 year degree later on but don't think for a second that you won't find something better. You have to show in your interviews that you are passionate about IT and about bettering yourself.

Go for it dude, I'm rooting for you.

Wow, Ok man! Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed.

God bless. :)

A+ isn't too bad Chasee. There is a lot of information, but it's more just memorization then anything. Just study all of the terms a TON and you'll do fine. If you have any IT experience with building computers or fixing your parents PC - aside from the terms on the exam you'll do fine.

As for the degree - it's not for everyone. Unfortunately school is being more and more expense. I can't attest to the success rate without a degree - but as most people will tell you on average you will make more in your lifetime with a 4 year degree from an accredited university than if you don't have a degree. I think it's far more than just the piece of paper or even the material you learn, it's a life experience that will help you mature and grow.

With an A+ you can probably land something at a mom and pop IT store or possibly Best Buy. If you are going to completely forgo a college education I would suggest getting some high level certifications. You can absolutely be as successful or more without a degree compared to someone with a degree if you have the drive and work ethic. If you get your A+, Net+, MCSA and or CCNA you can be making more than a college grad. Once there and you have that solid IT job it's all about experience and what you make of it.

I got a 4 year degree in Human Resources - not IT. After graduation I ended up getting my A+ and MCP exam (Vista). With those two certification i landed my first IT job at a help desk. I worked my arse off, learned as much as i could and during that time passed the Net+, 70-640 (Active Directory for Server 2008) and got promoted to Level 2. At that point I had 2 years experience and 4 certifications. Once i was at that point the job opportunities just opened up all over the place because i had some experience and certifications. I moved to a desktop support role at another company and after being in that role for 2 years and getting a few more certifications I was promoted to Network Administrator.

You can do it without a degree, realize some companies will look past you because you don't have one (unfortunately). With HARD work and dedication to your craft - i promise you will succeed though, you just have to work your butt off.

A+ isn't too bad Chasee. There is a lot of information, but it's more just memorization then anything. Just study all of the terms a TON and you'll do fine. If you have any IT experience with building computers or fixing your parents PC - aside from the terms on the exam you'll do fine.

As for the degree - it's not for everyone. Unfortunately school is being more and more expense. I can't attest to the success rate without a degree - but as most people will tell you on average you will make more in your lifetime with a 4 year degree from an accredited university than if you don't have a degree. I think it's far more than just the piece of paper or even the material you learn, it's a life experience that will help you mature and grow.

With an A+ you can probably land something at a mom and pop IT store or possibly Best Buy. If you are going to completely forgo a college education I would suggest getting some high level certifications. You can absolutely be as successful or more without a degree compared to someone with a degree if you have the drive and work ethic. If you get your A+, Net+, MCSA and or CCNA you can be making more than a college grad. Once there and you have that solid IT job it's all about experience and what you make of it.

I got a 4 year degree in Human Resources - not IT. After graduation I ended up getting my A+ and MCP exam (Vista). With those two certification i landed my first IT job at a help desk. I worked my arse off, learned as much as i could and during that time passed the Net+, 70-640 (Active Directory for Server 2008) and got promoted to Level 2. At that point I had 2 years experience and 4 certifications. Once i was at that point the job opportunities just opened up all over the place because i had some experience and certifications. I moved to a desktop support role at another company and after being in that role for 2 years and getting a few more certifications I was promoted to Network Administrator.

You can do it without a degree, realize some companies will look past you because you don't have one (unfortunately). With HARD work and dedication to your craft - i promise you will succeed though, you just have to work your butt off.

I'm glad that you think it's possible, Lex. I'm really set on working hard and naturally I was blessed with a great outgoing personality and a hard working heart. I really believe I have a shot at this. As of now I'm 18. I began volunteering at this computer refurb place in Houston caked Comp U Dopt. You should check it out! Really cool place. By the time im 20, I will have an associates in computer science, probably two certs or four certs, then 2 or so years of hands on refurb experience!

By the time im 20, I will have an associates in computer science, probably two certs or four certs, then 2 or so years of hands on refurb experience!

Just be aware the CS is geared more toward programming and not IT. I have a BS in CS, and 90% of my CS classes were focused toward programming. If tha'ts what you're into, then great. You should still be able to get an IT job with a CS degree though; just be aware you probably won't learn much about IT from CS courses (all of my IT experience I have is from helping people on these forums and several jobs while in high school / college; in HS I worked at an electronics shop as a sales rep / repair tech, then in college I first worked for the University's Help Desk, then went to a private business in my college's town as a Student IT Tech, and now I'm a software developer for my state's gov.

Just be aware the CS is geared more toward programming and not IT. I have a BS in CS, and 90% of my CS classes were focused toward programming. If tha'ts what you're into, then great. You should still be able to get an IT job with a CS degree though; just be aware you probably won't learn much about IT from CS courses (all of my IT experience I have is from helping people on these forums and several jobs while in high school / college; in HS I worked at an electronics shop as a sales rep / repair tech, then in college I first worked for the University's Help Desk, then went to a private business in my college's town as a Student IT Tech, and now I'm a software developer for my state's gov.

Oh really? Yes sir, I will keep that in mind. I didn't know that. I really enjoy the networking/troubleshooting side of IT. I like the hands-on stuff the most. Is there any tips you have that I should know? I have about two years to get as much experience as I can, and to grab as many certs as I can get. I will be making a move into Houston in about two years with my lady, so that she can finish up her college at UT health. And I see that as my ticket into the business side of IT, hopefully I can land a job here pretty soon so I can go directly into work!

My biggest suggestion: make sure you have good customer service skills, and tout that on your resume. IMO, that's one of the biggest things people look for in technicians that will be working with customers: you have to know how to deal with them.

I've even had several people that worked in other departments when I worked at the private business in college, when they received help from other vendors and such, that they had 1 guy that knew his stuff really well... but was horrible with customers. Was kinda rude/condescending and such. Then there was another person that didn't know quite as much, but was MUCH more friendly than the other guy... and they always hoped the were connected with the person that had better customer service skills.

That's why I'm glad I worked in retail for 4 years to help me hone my customer service/interaction skills; made getting the other 2 jobs much easier. The 3rd job was the easiest, because the manager from my 2nd job quit and went to the private business...so I called her up and asked if she had any positions open and she gave me a job lol; but she did that because she knew I was good with customers as well as was great with troubleshooting and such.

My biggest suggestion: make sure you have good customer service skills, and tout that on your resume. IMO, that's one of the biggest things people look for in technicians that will be working with customers: you have to know how to deal with them.

I've even had several people that worked in other departments when I worked at the private business in college, when they received help from other vendors and such, that they had 1 guy that knew his stuff really well... but was horrible with customers. Was kinda rude/condescending and such. Then there was another person that didn't know quite as much, but was MUCH more friendly than the other guy... and they always hoped the were connected with the person that had better customer service skills.

That's why I'm glad I worked in retail for 4 years to help me hone my customer service/interaction skills; made getting the other 2 jobs much easier. The 3rd job was the easiest, because the manager from my 2nd job quit and went to the private business...so I called her up and asked if she had any positions open and she gave me a job lol; but she did that because she knew I was good with customers as well as was great with troubleshooting and such.

Well in that case I'm all set! :) I have AMAZING customer service skills, thats one of the prime things that I put on my resume's and bios. I've always been very warm-hearted and able to make connections with people since I was a young child - and it's stuck with me ever since. I actually get complimented on it a lot at my current job, Chick-Fil-A! If you've never been to CFA and experienced the awesome customer service there, you should. They really drill it into your brain, and honestly it's helped! I'm very excited. I really think that I can do this! So, do you think that it's better off I just take my basic classes at the community college? I think there is a program there if I'm not mistaken where you can get computer technician certified. Should I look more into that?

Back
Top Bottom