CSE or CS for Network Engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squintz

Beta member
I've been going over the thought of career after career and came to settle on a job in the computer field. A friends father does some networking, says it's good. I looked up what I could find on it and it really seems like my kind of thing. Networking. Interconnection of everything. All those levels... I really don't know a **** thing. :silent:

I am in college and am working toward a CS degree. I've also thought of midway in my education to go for a cert my friends father suggested, MCSE. I don't know too much about certs, so yeah.

What I really want to know here is if CS or CSE is a good path to go on if I want to eventually gain the title of Network Engineer. Also, are there specific certs that would be useful toward my goal? I really appreciate any help that I can get.

First off stay in school, your degree is far more important than any certification.

Second, an MCSE would be great but i would start off smaller. get your CompTIA Net+ (google it) first to start off. easy, fast and gets your feet wet. Then look into maybe a Cisco certification (again google it).

Finally I would hold off on the MCSE as that is an old certification that supports a technology that MAY not be around when you graduate in the futer (MCSE is for windows server 2000 and server 2003). I would work on the CompTIA exams first because they are the easiest and get you great knowledge. From that maybe move into a Cisco certification. Then from taht move into the OS field and get your hands dirty in a server OS like server 2008.

FInally, a response!

Wow, I'll really take your advice to heart. Thank you so much for your help. :D

Lol, you have to remember, everyone here is on by there on volition, and this is all free support. That said, some people unfortunately don't ever get a response, but that is generally because it gets lost in the shuffle because there are so many posts.

All in all, everyone usually tries to help if they can, and if people are either busy or don't know the answer, then that is the way it is.

All aside, Lex is correct. Stay in school and get a computer degree, and the certs on the way if you find time and money. School should be the priority though, also as Lex said. That is how you will have a better chance of getting what you want for a career. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom