IT Consulting

Danimal23

Beta member
Heylo everyone, I'm new here, and well, just looking for some information. So I've always been the tech guy in my family, and I've always been interested in programming and internal management, I used to do very small little projects in C+ and Java and let go of it for awhile. Just recently I've been revived to what I love and I'm embracing it, trying to learn networking fundamentals and Html, Css, and javascript at the moment. I have applied to a few different support desk operations/it assistant jobs in the past few days. Long story short, I think sometime in the future I would like to startup my own services regarding network and systems troubleshooting, and consulting. I've read a bunch of different articles that vaguely describe a few software tools that pros recommend and all the business strategies. However, I have found no information on what one should ACTUALLY know how to do while performing consulting services. Ex. I can install/remove software, defrag, run scans/remove viruses, fix some networking problems, and overall general problems common users face. What other sort of troubleshooting skills should I start to obtain and/or evaluate? What sort of software should I get for solutions (preferably free)? Would I need any handy tools (swiss knife, pliers, screwdriver, etc.)? What does it take to setup Help Desk/Remote Desktop support? Please be descriptive if you can, thank you all. :D

I was in a very similar boat as you about 5 years ago. I even started my own company (side company) and did consulting work which ranged from new computer builds to removal of virus's.

I personally think the biggest hurdle is getting a solid consumer base. Sure you have friends and family, but getting a rock solid consumer base of true customers is difficult. Not sure of your background, but i think a lot of tech companies fall short when it comes to sales. I don't mean sales like selling a desktop - i mean getting your company's name out there and getting people to think of the company when they have a PC problem. I think a lot of company's are great when it comes to support, PC tech's today are a dime a dozen. What differentiates your company is getting the name out there.

Second suggestion would be to hone your enterprise skills, things like creating a domain, setting up users, permissions, security, virtualization - these skill sets will take your consulting to the next level because you can provide a service Best Buy and most mom and pop shops cannot. Essentially being the IT guy for small companies.

A lot of common software things can be:
Virus/Malware Removal (better to persuade them to have a full reinstall)
Password Resets
Data Recovery
Software/OS Reinstall

Hardware:
Laptop Screen Replacements and/or Backlight
DC Jack Replacement/Repair
Desktop/Laptop Upgrades
New Desktop Builds
Refurbished Desktop Builds
Desktop/Laptop Troubleshooting and Repair

Network (not so essential if you're aimed at a home user, just know the basics):
Home Network Setup (printer sharing, homegroup, workgroup etc)
Troubleshooting Wired/Wireless Network Issues
Walkthroughs (often for older people who need guidance rather than an actual fix)

Then you have more specific grey areas like bluescreens etc, could be a software or hardware issue. In this case I'd always recommend a reinstall (unless the customer is desperate for you not to). Reinstalling Windows gives you a good idea of whether the issue is hardware or software (and a lot of hardware issues, RAM faults etc manifest themselves during the reinstall)

Tools:
Soldering Iron
Flathead/Philips, Pozidriv Screwdrivers (varying sizes, magnetic) - Sized accordingly for laptops up to desktops.
Flathead Screwdrivers, Philips, Pozidriv (varying sizes, non-magnetic) - If you can only afford one set, get the magnetic ones.
Power Supply Tester (something like this (you can get cheaper ones too: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lcd-pc-power-supply-tester-a48gf)
Plenty of blank DVDs, CDs and USB sticks (try and sell these to the customer for data backups)
IDE/SATA hard drive enclosure (for data recovery, for 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives)
Flat foam - For protecting a customers laptop/desktop when it's on it's side/upside-down etc - Shows respect for their property.
Isopropyl and soft paper towels/tissue - Customers like their machines coming back clean.
WD40 - Gets rid of the old dusty smell in old machines, makes blacks look "blacker"
PC and Printer - For your own workstation, use a professional looking invoice to print for the customer.

It might sound cheeky, but volunteer with a local computer shop for a few months, I promise you it will prove an invaluable experience (especially if it's a good one)

Last edited:
Very good info/advise cb600 - I too want to do side work but find it so hard to get customers.. I try by word of mouth or fixing issues for people for free and telling them to spread the word etc.. but get nothing lol. I think I need to find someone close by who does this and join up to be a 2 man team :cool:

What other sort of troubleshooting skills should I start to obtain and/or evaluate? What sort of software should I get for solutions (preferably free)? Would I need any handy tools (swiss knife, pliers, screwdriver, etc.)? What does it take to setup Help Desk/Remote Desktop support? Please be descriptive if you can, thank you all. :D

I'm going to post a list of software titles that are used by a national company. I'm sure you could figure out who it is and, technically, this list is available online if you know where to look, but... It will be posted right after this (it's a loooooong list).

The world of IT is changing, my friends. I have seen the lists and suggestions put up so far and, while good, are not nearly extensive enough. In consumer homes you're starting to see the Internet of Things. I'm sure you've all heard this before. Everything is connected, from Nest and other smart home devices to security cameras and, before long, robots (think I'm joking? See: Jibo). There's also home theater to think about, and mounting televisions using a multitude of mounts, concealing speakers in walls and ceilings, etc. Those require drywall knives, glow rods, wire strippers, electric screwdrivers, etc.

I think the key, if you are going to do it yourself, is to find a niche. Something that is rarely found around you, but something that your local market can sustain. Here where I live, for example, we have some very high end consumers. The problem is, there are few home theater companies that do high end home theater work and home automation. The few that do make a boatload of money doing it. The tech is still new, prices high, consumers who want it, and hardly any competition. Makes for a great market. Think of a niche, and you'll do very well.

Very good list and information.

It might sound cheeky, but volunteer with a local computer shop for a few months, I promise you it will prove an invaluable experience (especially if it's a good one)

Excellent idea. I would actually recommend a larger company that is regional or national, however. I say this because if they are local only, how successful have they really been? The regional or national companies have done something right at some point and exploded in growth. Those are the companies that you want to emulate. Keep in mind the local companies, however. They usually provide a more personalized experience versus the larger ones. You can learn a bit from both, at the end of the day.

A quick note... this list is a list of software that may need to have a license in order to use commercially. Not all software listed is used by the company this was obtained from and is most certainly not all inclusive, either. Some of these are web sites and some of these are software titles.

It's just a great start on a list of useful software that you may find handy in your travels. Feel free to add to it! Enjoy! :)

Alphabetical List

#
.NET Framework Cleanup Tool
3DP Chip
7-Zip

A
A-Squared Command Line Scanner
AccessChk
AccessEnum
Acronis DiskDirector
Acronis RecoveryExpert
Acronis TrueImage
ActiveXHelper
AD Explorer
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
AdInsight
AdRestore
ADS Spy
AdwareMedic
ADWCleaner
AlternateStreamView
Angry IP Scanner
AOL Cleaner
AppCrashView
Apple iOS IPSW Firmware & OS Image Files (GSISO)
AppleJack
ATF-Cleaner
Autologon
Autoruns
AVAST! Browser Cleanup
AVG - Site License

B
B.A.R.D.S.
BartPE
BatteryInfoView
BlueScreenView
BluetoothLogView
BluetoothView
Bug Off
BulkFileChanger

C
CacheSet
CCleaner for Windows
ClamXAV
CleanAfterMe
ClockRes
CmosPwd
coconutBattery
ComboFix
Content Advisor Password Remover
Contig
CoreInfo
Counter Spy
CPU-Z
CPU-Z for Android
CrystalCPUID
CrystalDiskInfo
CrystalDiskMark
CrystalDMI
CrystalMark 2004R3
CutePDF Writer
CWShredder

D
Darik's Boot And Nuke
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic [Text-only version]
DBAN
Debugging Tools for Windows
Debugging Tools for Windows.bat
Decrap
Deskbands
DeviceManagerView
Dial-a-fix (DAF)
Disk Inventory X
Disk Usage
Disk2Vhd
DiskCountersView
DiskDirector.cmd
DiskExt
DiskMon
DiskSmartView
DiskView
Drive Fitness Test
DriveLetterView
DriverPack Full
DriverPack Online
DumpEDID

E
EasyFind
EFSDump
Enable Admin Account
Everything Search
ExeInfo
ExifDataView
Ezboot

F
F-PROT Antivirus
FileAssocationFix.cmd
FileTypesMan
FindLinks
FolderChangesView
Forcebyte

G
GACView
Google Chrome
Google Chrome Software Removal Tool
Gutenprint

H
Handle
HashMyFiles
HWMonitor

I
IECompo
IMGBurn
InstalledCodec
Internet Explorer
ISOLINUX
Itty Bitty Process Manager
iTunes

J
Junction
Junkware Removal Tool
jv16 PowerTools

K
Kaspersky - Partner Portal
Kaspersky Labs - Site License
KazaaBegone
Kill2Me
KNOPPIX

L
LastActivityView
LDMDump
ListDLLs
LiveKd
LoadOrder
LogonSessions
Look2ME-Destroyer

M
Mac OS 10.10.1 - Yosemite
Mac OS 10.7.4 PRE2012 - Lion
Mac OS 10.8.0 - Mountain Lion
Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mountain Lion
Mac OS 10.8.4 Late 2013 - Mountain Lion
Mac OS 10.9.0 - Mavericks
Mac OS 10.9.0 Late 2013 - Mavericks
Mac OS 10.9.1 - Mavericks
Mac OS 10.9.1 Late 2013 - Mavericks
Mac OS 10.9.2 - Mavericks
MakeMacDVD.cmd
MalwareBytes - Site License
McAfee - Site License
MediaInfo
Memtest86
Memtest86+
Microsoft Fix It Solutions and Utilities
Microsoft Media Creation Tool for Windows 8.1
Microsoft Office 2010 Discs
Microsoft Safety Scanner
Microsoft Software Recovery for Windows 7
Microsoft System Config Utility (MSConfig)
MonitorInfoView
MoveFile
Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Thunderbird
MS Auto Play Fix
MSI Kombustor
MUICacheView
MyEventViewer
MyUninstaller

N
NetworkTrafficView
Networx
Ninite
NirCmd
Notepad++
NTFSInfo
NTFSLinksView

O
OfficeIns
Offline NT Password
OneCareCleanup.exe
OnyX
OpenedFilesView
OpenWithView
Opera Browser
OutlookAddressBookView

P
PageDefrag
Panda Security - Site License
PasswordSecurityScanner
PC Tools - Site License
Pc-Check (DOS Version)
PC Decrapifier
PCT_Uninstaller
PendMoves
PipeList
PNY Rescue Tool
PortMon
Prime 95
ProcDump
Process Explorer
Process Monitor
ProcessActivityView
ProduKey
PsExec
PSFile
PsGetSid
PsInfo
PsKill
PsList
PsLoggedOn
PsLogList
PsPing
PsService
PsSuspend
PsTools
PuTTY

Q
QA+Win.cmd
QA+Win32 and QA+Win64 (Windows Version)

R
RAMMap
Rdrivrem
RecentFilesView
Recovery Console admin password hack.reg
RecoveryExpert.cmd
RegDelNull
RegDllView
RegFromApp
Registry Mechanic
RegScanner
Rember
ResetFileAttributes.exe
RestoreDefaultServices.exe
Revo Uninstaller
RootkitRevealer
Roxio Easy Media Creator Platinum v10
RunFromProcess

S
SDelete
SearchFilterView
SeaTools for DOS
SeaTools for DOS [Text-only version]
Secedit
ShareEnum
ShellBagsView
ShellExView
ShellMenuNew
ShellMenuView
ShellRunas
ShouldIRemoveIt? (Website)
SigCheck
Smartdrv
smitRem
SoftPerfect File Recovery
SoftPerfect LAN Search Pro
SoftPerfect Network Protocol Analyzer
SoftPerfect Network Scanner
SoftPerfect Network Search Engine
SoftPerfect Networx
SoftPerfect RAM Disk
SoftPerfect WiFi Guard
SpaceSniffer
SpecialFoldersView
SpeedFan
Spybot S&D
StartupList
Streams
Strings
SubInACL
Superfish Removal Tool
Symantec - Partner Portal
Symantec - Site License
Sync
SysExporter
Sysmon
System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)

T
TCPView
Trend Micro - Partner Portal
Trend Micro - Site License
TrojanHunter

U
Ubuntu
Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)
Undo Show Verbose Security Status Messages.reg
UnknownDevices
Unlocker
URLProtocolView
USBDeview
USBLogView
UserAssistView
UserProfilesView

V
VistaBootPro
Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 Run Time Files
Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 Run Time Files
VMMap
VolumeID
VundoFix

W
Webroot - Partner Portal
Webroot - Site License
WhatIsHang
Whois
Wifi Analyzer
WinCrashReport
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
Windows 8.1 Upgrade (USB Flash Drive)
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
Windows Memory Diagnostics
Windows PE 2.1
Windows Repair (All In One) - Tweaking.com
Windows Script 5.6
Windows System Repair Disc
Windows Updates & Service Packs
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
Windows XP Recovery Console
WinFontsView
WinLister
WinMerge
WinObj
WinPrefetchView
WinsockServicesView
WinUpdatesList
WirelessKeyView

X
X-Cleaner
Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Disc

Yeah I use hiren only because it was out first (I think) I have UBCD but not sure where I put it... I have like 100 USBs....

Back
Top Bottom