Computer Technology Schools

I am going to Kaplan University, online. I knew absolutely nothing two weeks ago and now I understand some of what you are talking about.
I am taking two course: Academic Strategies for the IT Professional and Introduction to Information Technology. The second class has a great textbook: Understanding Computers Today and Tomorrow. I highly recommend it.

I have an AAS in Computer Information Systems, CCNA certified, and A+ certified. I have been sending resumes out to no end. I have no luck. Should I count my losses or keep the old chin up? If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of just becoming an English teacher, but that means more college...happy happy joy joy:) :)

Loyola said:
I have an AAS in Computer Information Systems, CCNA certified, and A+ certified. I have been sending resumes out to no end. I have no luck. Should I count my losses or keep the old chin up? If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of just becoming an English teacher, but that means more college...happy happy joy joy:) :)

If you can go to college, I would. But in the meantime keep your head up and keep trying. It is very hard to get real IT experience when most of the companies require a degree. But it all depends on your situation. If you have the money and backing, then I would suck it up for 4 years and get the degree.

Teaching is a very rewarding job to some. But most of the jobs are in the southeast (as I am told). It is almost impossible to get a teaching job up north which is where the top education/pay lies. Another downside to teaching is most states require a masters to even teach at the highschool level. I believe they allow you to teach in the south while obtaining your masters through night classes though.

I got my best IT training from a private technical school. My degree in CS seems to help me get in the door for interviews, but they always ask about certifications. Seems as though the MCSE may be something you may want to add. If not, maybe at least pass the XP test to get the MCP.

Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh is aa very good university that focuses on technology. They also have a five year program where you get a bachelors degree in computer Science in 3 years then get your MBA so you have the job security of an MBA (higher paychecks, work in management, etc.) and a degree in a field that you love(computers) also if the technology field shrinks then an MBA can get you working in almost any financial field (which pay well and are hard to outsource) in banks, venture capatalist groups, financial and accounting departments in large companies etc.

StylinGolfShoes said:
Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh is aa very good university that focuses on technology. They also have a five year program where you get a bachelors degree in computer Science in 3 years then get your MBA so you have the job security of an MBA (higher paychecks, work in management, etc.) and a degree in a field that you love(computers) also if the technology field shrinks then an MBA can get you working in almost any financial field (which pay well and are hard to outsource) in banks, venture capatalist groups, financial and accounting departments in large companies etc.

You have stated several fallacies. Let me clarify. If you get a 4 year computer science degree and work in software engineering you will be making more then a guy with an MBA and you will have plenty of job security. Just look at the job stats for software engineering (#1 job in the US, with 50% growth rate over next 10 years). Compared to a guy with an MBA which everyone and everyones uncle has an MBA. If you did not know, MBA is what the majority of people with graduate degrees have obtained. So this does not make you stand out from the rest, it simply makes you blend in to the more established crowd of business professionals.

Now if you were to work as a manager instead of an engineer you would be shuffling paper work and not working with "computers" (Software engineering). People usually take this path because it is the easier of the two. Business classes are 10x easier then math classes.

Hope this helps

I dont know if it is just me but, any school/college that has to advertise dosent seem like they're a top of the line school. I am mainly talking about Devry, ITT Technical Institute and computertrainning.com. So anyone who has attended or is currently attending, are theses school's as good as they say they are.

gwar87 said:
I dont know if it is just me but, any school/college that has to advertise dosent seem like they're a top of the line school. I am mainly talking about Devry, ITT Technical Institute and computertrainning.com. So anyone who has attended or is currently attending, are theses school's as good as they say they are.

You are exactly right about the advertising. These schools do not have proper accreddiation. This is because the faculty who teaches at these schools are not qualified or educated. To say the least, you are throwing away your money and time.

Quantum Bit said:
You are exactly right about the advertising. These schools do not have proper accreddiation. This is because the faculty who teaches at these schools are not qualified or educated. To say the least, you are throwing away your money and time.

Thats what I thought. If I decide to go to at computer tech school, it will not be one I hear about on TV.

Back
Top Bottom