Computer Technology Schools

digital_darknes said:
I go to Texas State Technical College for my Associates in Computer Systems Networking/System Administration. It is a pretty good school. You wont find any 4 year degrees having to do with networking although there should be one. Im CCNA though and all of the stuff is very basic so far. I just finished my first semester.

They should offer it, but most colleges and universities offer engineering/cs, which is the closest you're going to get to System Admin/Networking.

Pratik said:
They should offer it, but most colleges and universities offer engineering/cs, which is the closest you're going to get to System Admin/Networking.

How are those even related? Engineering is well engineering and System admin/Networking is well networking.. They are very different, they offer IS degrees which is information systems, or even a MIS degree.

True, but most colleges doesn't even offer IS degrees. I was saying in a sense that as a computer engineer, you'll take courses such as Computer Networks or what have you. That'll be the closest you'll get to even scratching the surface of the job of a System Admin. I was just saying that if you want System Admin job, you're better off going to a technical school.

Engineering really has nothing to do with networks or networking. Computer engineers are mostly going to look at how these devices work from a totally different abstration point that a network admin would and I doubt they would even do that. IS degrees are much more common then engineering degrees for the simple matter of cost. Engineering is a far more costly degree then IS is. There are very few uni's that have engineering programs compared to IS.

Are you kidding me? You'll find an ENGINEERING department in almost any university. You probably won't find it the majority of colleges. I'm an engineering major, trust me. A lot of research in the engineering field is done in the University, too. Why would they not have program? If they have engineers that do research at the University, they will most likely (99%) have an engineering department. I don't know if you know, but Professors aren't under the payroll of the University to TEACH kids (only a small portion), but to do research. They do teaching on the side.

Pratik said:
Are you kidding me? You'll find an ENGINEERING department in almost any university. You probably won't find it the majority of colleges. I'm an engineering major, trust me. A lot of research in the engineering field is done in the University, too. Why would they not have program? If they have engineers that do research at the University, they will most likely (99%) have an engineering department. I don't know if you know, but Professors aren't under the payroll of the University to TEACH kids (only a small portion), but to do research. They do teaching on the side.

I know it is done in the university, I never said it was not. I am saying out of 5 uni's probally only 1 has an engineering program and out of 10 only 1 has a program worth attending. I am also an engineering major. Likewise most uni's have IS programs.

Initally you said engineering was like networking which it is not and if you're an engineering major then you should know that :).

raross said:
I know it is done in the university, I never said it was not. I am saying out of 5 uni's probally only 1 has an engineering program and out of 10 only 1 has a program worth attending. On another note, the "real" world class engineering programs are mostly all private. anyways, I am also an engineering major. Likewise most uni's have IS programs.

Initally you said engineering was like networking which it is not and if you're an engineering major then you should know that :).

why are u guys so much after the certifications...

i mean wud it not be enough to have jus a pure BS in ur area of specilization enough?

back here in this south east asia, the 4 year courses are most reputed...

me planning to take up a masters in comp science in USA for the fall 2006.

most of my uni are taken up from us news rankings and the kinda research going on...

i dont have ne of those cerrtifications with me on my resume..

will it affect?

A BS says that once upon a time I made grades that were acceptable to the university in the technologies that were relevant at that university and at that time.

Certifications are the product vendor saying that I have proven my competence with a particular technology.

So both are important.

Also, depending on your age and many other factors, degrees are not always a good decision. But, getting certifications never ends because technology is always changing.

Also, universities very often are teaching technologies that were popular 5 years ago. They are not expected to be "leading edge".

Will it affect? I think certifications help, but are often not a deal-breaker.

Where I work, degrees are not as important as certifications, but we are probably not typical. If we need a guy to create or manage a Microsoft network, we want some one who has proven himself with Microsoft servers and has a personality that will work well with the rest of the team. We don't really care about much else. But, like I said we are probably not typical. But I hope you see our point.

Back
Top Bottom