Certs VS Degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct, however, what you want degree wise is an ATA, and THEN a BS.

The ATA is 95% pure IT courses. That's specific to the field you want. Network Engineer, Computer Programmers (which are a form of Computer Engineers FYI, they branch off in hardware, or software programming)

Only management positions require BSs, in the state of washington anyways. I can't speak for the market elsewhere.

Positions that are non-management/engineering. They will totally disregard a BS unless you have Certs specific to the position. Which majority of BS degrees do not teach enough towards. (for example, one of my HS buds who's at a university right now, he's two years into it, and closest computer courses he's gotten, is a shuffled up A+ course. Of which, he has to go through 4 courses of it, just to even learn anough to challenge the test. Universities in WA anyway, really water down course work. and his entire degree, he'll only have 10 (4 of which A+) classes specific to IT. everything else, all other credits are random general ed. and business classes.

VS two of my friends from Skills Center, who're getting their degrees. After this fall, one will have CCNP, CCSP, Network+, Security+, SSIP, etc. (he's getting SSIP this coming quarter) while the other is already finishing Digital Forensics, and will have extensive C++, C#, and .Net.

Both of which, already have signed contracts for when they graduate. I.e. immediately once diploma is n hand, one will be making $27, and the toher $34 right after their ATAs are complete.

My friend at the University, no ones even looking at their IT department. Not for non-management gigs anyway.

The Associates in Technical Arts makes up 95% pure IT/ET curriculum.

OH also, unlike my friend at the University (which he's seriously regretting) the two who're getting their ATAs. both companies they each signed on for (two diff companys) they are paying back their student loans as part of the contract. In exchange for them pulling X years in the company.

WITH tuition assistance for getting their BSs. Of which, almost every ATA course, transfers over IT courses for the BS degrees.

how are them apples?

OH and also, they aren't being paid/contracted for their degrees. They are getting paid and contracted for their Certifications. (which their ATAs specifically emphasized around)

So is it worth it to get an online degree? FRUSTRATION! Im a graphic designer which i can possibly make 25-30 an hour which would be cool but im not making anywhere near that right now which is HORRIBLE! I wana choke somebody! lol maybe myself for picking a bad major.

Just go into a Community College, and do their Computer Science/Computer Info Systems classes.

At the CC I'm going to, their ENTIRE IT section is PURELY online. Everything in the CIS-Networking ATA is all online classes.

For my ET ATA, all my classes are online as well, with exception to two days during the week I meet in the class room. (2 1/2hrs per class, 5 hours 1 day, 2 1/2hrs the next day, and than an open lab on Fridays I can go to whenever/depending on what I gotta get done, other than that, it's purely online coursework)

Don't go to a friggen online college. go to a REGULAR college, and take their online courses. That way, no matter what you STILL end up with an Associates. And get the ability to fit your schedules.

OH, and the CIS class I'm taking this quarter for Windows VISTA (Command Lines, user interface, etc.) is completely online with no in-class work.

And my A+ course, is purely online as well. and my CCENT/CCNA course is purely digitized. Because of computer software taht comes with the books, makes a full computer based simulation of everything.

So having an associates and certs is enough to get a job in IT?

I looked at the community college by me.. it had no online classes but their Associates program was like ALL computer classes not full of BS classes that you dont even need like alot of schools....

Timmy, you can get a job in IT with certs alone BUT the pay scale will be lower. Like any other profession the more educational background you have the more you will earn

So having an associates and certs is enough to get a job in IT?

I looked at the community college by me.. it had no online classes but their Associates program was like ALL computer classes not full of BS classes that you dont even need like alot of schools....

That would be an Associates in Technical Arts program.

95% pure core curriculum.

What is the average pay if i got an IT job with just basic certs? Also is it **** near impossible to get an entry level job? I am in the sign business doing graphic design and i cannot get my foot in the door to a real design company if my life depended on it. THey make it nearly impossible.. the design firms all consider me entry level even though ive been doing design for sign companys for years now. They only consider you if you have design firm experience. its BS

What is the average pay if i got an IT job with just basic certs? Also is it **** near impossible to get an entry level job? I am in the sign business doing graphic design and i cannot get my foot in the door to a real design company if my life depended on it. THey make it nearly impossible.. the design firms all consider me entry level even though ive been doing design for sign companys for years now. They only consider you if you have design firm experience. its BS

Basic level, as in all you have is A+, you're talking about $10-14 an hour. On average in my area anyways. Is it hard to get a job? Yes, and no. Depends, going for Best Buy, or a Small Business, or Circuit City? Or what?

To get in at Corporate level (Large business kind of stuff, as in non-IT repair shop kind of a set up) You're going to need Network+, and CCENT, if not CCNA. (No matter what, get your Network+!!!! that's a non-vendor specific cert, whcih means if they use Microsoft instead of CISCO, they know you're still good to go as an entry level Technician).

If you can get in as a Network Technician (you'll have certs mentioned above) You're taling $17 at the lowest, with $35 at the highest depending on experience and level of certifications.

Majority of places will take actual work experience with the certs above a degree.

Small example, friend of mines Father, he is an Information Security Architecht. Never taken a college class his entire life. Pulls in $135,000 annually outside of bonuses, etc.

That's top Salary, starting Salary for Information Security, you're talking about $75,000 starting. The firm he works for, doesn't care if you have a degree or not. What they care about, is the physical certification papers you actually have.

At his company, they require:

CompTIA A+, Network+ Security+ RFID+ Convergence+ PDI+
CISCO: CCNA, CCSP, CCNP
Then they require CISSP, and MCSE

For Entry, eliminate CISSP, MCSE, and CCNP.

They don't care what degree you have, just the certs you have, and work in the IT or Software Support fields. (Meaning you can spend 4 years working in a computer repair shop, they don't care, it still counts as IT experience)

But stepping stone wise, in the IT Industry, getting your ground foundation, A+, Network+ and Security+ is where everything begins.

I would focus on a degree, when I worked for corporate America most of the companies I worked for would pay for certificates and continuing education courses.

I would focus on a degree, when I worked for corporate America most of the companies I worked for would pay for certificates and continuing education courses.

But what if you need to Certs just to get in? Same firm my friends dad works in pays 100% tuition up to $6,500 per year but only for IT and ET courses/textbooks. (with contracted obligation for once you finish the course 6 months per quarter) But to even get jobs in his firm, you have to have the Certifications before anything else. How exactly did the places you work operate? I'm just comparing and contrasting. I'm getting my ATA in Computer Information Systems (covers everything from A+ to Security+, CCNA, Database Programming and Management, and intro programming, however, I have to still take the tests throughout the program to get said certs) but so far going over job ads for places other than what my friend's dad works for, they all see to demand certifications over specific degrees. But reason I'm asking, is because I'm trying to broaden my horizons so to speak in different areas I could possibly get a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom