A+ Certified, Can I get a job now, lol?

y2adre

In Runtime
Finished the 220-802 yesterday, passed with flying colors. I just need an honest opinion. Do you guys think I can land an IT position now (in the Philly area)? I have a bachelors in econ, currently in community college for network engineering, and have my COMPTIA A+ Cert now. One making min 39-40k. Please advise!:(

Last edited:
Honestly depends on the area you're in/what jobs are available.

Look to see if you can get something to start out with, like a Tier 1 help desk position. Experience is going to be the biggest thing - so you'll need to start out at a lower position since you have little to no professional experience.

Depending on where you live.. Probably $20k starting.
A lot has changed since '06 :tongue: You just have to display competency in your field. Most of my applications have required a test. both hands on and written

Yes you can get a job. I live in philly and I can tell you there are plenty of jobs. With just an A+ I'd say you'd be making somewhere in between 35-40. (I currently make 38). Maybe less because of lack of experience.

My advice is to take anything just to get your foot in the door. Don't shy away from helpdesk jobs that pay 13-14/hr. After a year working with that salary you'll find something better.

I agree with most of what's said in here. The A+ is good for getting your foot in the door. Once you get some in-the-field experience you'll have a better understanding of practical application of the stuff you learned in A+. I think that's how I got the job I currently have... it was more because i was concise in how I represented my understanding and potential employers seek that professionalism.

Last edited:
It's hard to say since you don't have any experience. I don't have a degree nor any certification yet however I worked at the computer lab at my community college and I used that as experience and kept adding on from there.
Make sure you apply to at least the following sites: Monster, Dice, and Indeed.
There are many more like Careerbuilder, etc however those 3 have always gotten me plenty of calls.
Remember that things might be dead right now since the fiscal year is coming to an end for companies so they will begin hiring again past Jan.
If you need resume help, I can send you mine, I've never been out of a job (Thankfully). And Minneapolis is huge in IT.
You could also search for resumes on Indeed to get tips on what people are putting in for a specific position.
$15-20 is avg to start at Tier 1, within 1-2 years you should easily be able to jump to 22-25.
My brother worked with resumes for a long time so he's pretty good with this stuff, feel free to pm me if you need to look at an example.
Good Luck

Don't be afraid to make a little less for a while. Straight out of an associate's degree in IT and an A+ I accepted the job where i am at now. They gave me 28k with a promise of 30 in 6 months. In 4 months I was up to 38k.

Moral is: You never know.

Don't be afraid to make a little less for a while. Straight out of an associate's degree in IT and an A+ I accepted the job where i am at now. They gave me 28k with a promise of 30 in 6 months. In 4 months I was up to 38k.

Moral is: You never know.

Nice man, congrats on that and you're right.
Just get your foot in the door like everyone else says.

Back
Top Bottom