Certification help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
I'm planning my certification future and would like to get some input from you guys. I think i've narrowed it down to two certifications, and would like to know what you guys think.

At first I was going to take the Network+ exam, then work on an MCITP:Enterprise Admin certification. They just revamped the exam and published it this February 2009 - so i wont' be able to study it until May when the earliest publication book comes out... lame.

The Network+ exam is a given and I will definately be taking that, I just have to wait a while to get my hands on a new book. The MCITP exam is the one i'm not totally sure on.

To give you an idea of what i'm thinking about, I would like to get a job as a desktop support or help desk tech first. Work that for a few years, then try and move into the server support world. More valuable and more money from what i gather :p

From what i've read and heard you can't really get a server support job until you have desktop support experience. Would the MCITP be a good way to naturally move into that position after some real world experience with desktop support? Here are the requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/enterprise/default.mspx

Would anyone have another idea of what would be a better route to go for server support? Different path of certifications?

I ask because i'll probably purchase the self paced MS study guides in the next few days and would like to know if thise is a wise move before dropping 250 bucks on 5 books, not to count the time spend studying or money spend on the exams.

Has anyone else moved from a help desk into server support?

Interesting question, I'm sure someone can help with suggestions. I would like to know also, because experience is definitely a good thing when trying to climb the ladder.

Ya experience will superceed the certifications. I just would like to know if I want to eventually support servers after supporting a desktop / network environment for a while if this certification would be helpful.

I personally think it would help, but I am not one who knows for sure, Lex. There are several others here who would for sure though. I know there's a couple guys in IT running servers, domains, etc. for a job, you know, administrator types that would know.

As I mentioned before I am interested as well, because logic would seem to say that yes it would help.

For what its worth, I saw a post that someone (a regular member that is reliable) made once that was a bit of a suggested track, but I have no clue where that particular post is. I could search it in a bit, he seems pretty smart with all the networking stuff out there.

EDIT: HEY !!! YOU finally have an AVVY !! :p

At this time Server 2008 is not widely supported. So while going that route will be of benefit, it is also at a point where people are torn between Server 2003 and Server 2008. You will see more places using Server 2003 right now but eventually Server 2008 or the Server 2008 R2 will take over and your knowledge and skills will be most welcome anywhere.

Without a doubt i would say go for it. But you might also want to consider something with Server 2003 as well.

And I would love to help you more, Lex, but I taken classes for Windows Server 2003, and am currently taking MSExchange / IIS. I didn't feel I could give you valuable information since I am not out there in the field using IT skills.

And like Mak says, I would go for it (MCITP). That is somewhat like the old MCSE, but Microsoft changed things around a bit as of late.

THank you guys!!:)

Ya i know, my father impliments server's for EDS and says that he has not seen one implimentation of 2008 yet, but that will soon change it just takes a little while for the newer server OS to take.

Knowing that there are five total exams I have to take (already passed one of them, so four needed) it will probably take a good long while to actually become totally certified (i'm thinking i'll have all four hopefully by fall). So by then i'd hope we would see 2008 used more.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate the help - i'll purchase the packet today :)

I think that Server 2008 still wont be implemented by Fall. I mean think about it. Servers are the core of any business. So there has to be a big want/need for them to upgrade to Server 08 over using Server 03 as it is.

While some places like to have the latest tech, even they are weary of updating to 08 as of yet cause of the additions being made to R2. If Microsoft keeps on their aggressive schedule and gets R2 out late this year, early next year you will see demand for those who know Server 08 demand raise as more companies will upgrade then as it will be the 2nd generation of Server 08 as it is now and been thru not 1 but 2 testing phases with Microsoft alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom