Career help needed asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbb87

Beta member
I want to have a career working with computers but I'm not sure exactly what I want to do.

Right now I'm interested in computer repairs and I guess the stuff that a computer technichian would do. It looks like the best thing for me to do would be to take an A+ class and then get certified.

But what do I do after that? I noticed that most companies like Best Buy and CompUSA require 1-2 years of prior experience for a computer technician. Where am I supposed to get this experience? I don't plan to spend the rest of my life working at Best Buy but I thought it would be a good place to start.

I'm totally lost as to what to do and what education I need. I'm not even sure I could make it as a computer technichian. I can't seem to find anyone you can help me or point me in the right direction. I graduated from high school but I don't want to go to college. I only want to take the classes I'll need for my career.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's always a tricky dilemma: Can't find work because you don't have any experience, and you can't get experience because you can't get a job.

Nearly every job posting will say that it requires job experience. This is sometimes misleading. How long have you been dealing with computers? Even if it's your own, or your friends/family, that can still account for something.

I took a 1-year course at my local Technical Institute that had a sole purpose of preparing me for vendor exams (like A+, CCNA, Net+, MCP). Don't count out college, though. Honestly, A+ alone will not get you very far. A+ will usually only get you a job at a computer shop or Bestbuy, etc. If you are lucky, you might move up the ladder in computer retail. That's fine, if you like that. But, it doesnt sound like that's what you are looking for.

Another thing college is good for is practicums. My 1-year course ended in a practicum. A lot of students ended up keeping their practicum as their job or a contact to someone else who was looking to hire. Also, it helps to solve your original problem.

Bottom line: Get A+, but not by itself. Get other certifications that interest you, if you REALLY dont want to go to college.

Or, go to college (I know first-hand that it pays off).

Good luck:D

PM me or post back if you need any more help:)

you could lookup apprenticeships & internships. Some won't even pay anything but you gain exp and contacts.

There was this one non pay internship my college posted. I went and they wanted me to do paperwork and some desktop publishing, which I was not trying to do for a career. But had I not had a job, I prolly would have put some time in there cus a lot of people worked at that office. You mention to them that youre going to school, what can do, what you have done, and catch the right person; you could prolly get yourself a job.

schools ususally have job assistance programs as well.

it depends on your knowledge of computers, and what you like to do:

if you're into repairing computers, no computer stores will take you until you take some courses, possibly college, and get some skills.

If you just want to tell people basics about computers, you could go to best buy, circuit city, radio shack, etc. and work there, but its so boring...telling average joes to buy a celeron instead of a pentium 4 :(

Is it possible for someone to tell me what kinds of computer related jobs there are that don't require a college education but instead might require some sort of special class? For example, it seems that all the education you need to be a computer technician is to be a high school graduate (or equivalent) and to to be A+ certified. The only class you might need to take for this is an A+ prep class.

It's really hard for me to understand what kinds of jobs are available in the computer technology world that don't require a college education. I don't want to have to waste my time or money taking stupid history and english classes just so I can get a job working with computers.

I'm wondering if a college like the ECPI college of technology would be the way to go. Does anyone know anything about this place? It looks like the IT/Networking & Security Management program might be interesting, any thoughts on that?

I suppose the one thing I'm concerned about is the salary. I don't want some crappy paying job. Going to college won't guarantee that I get a well paying job. I know people who earn more with that never went to college than those that went to college and got a degree.

Computer repair or sales in bestbuy is about the only career in computers now a days that dont require a four year degree. Some of the jobs on dice/monster etc, wont say they require a 4 year degree because it is implied if you have experience.

raross said:
Computer repair or sales in bestbuy is about the only career in computers now a days that dont require a four year degree.

Thats simply not true.

You may need to start at a helpdesk environment to gain experience. Helpdesks hire people with minimal to no experience. I would recommend an A+ cert for the basics of Hardware troubleshooting. You will work yourself up the ladder, as long as you apply yourself. You may need to work harder to move up without a degree but it is very possible.

there's a ton of contract work out there that doesn't require a degree. I assume instead they look for exp. Someone who has already done what the company needs is a good canidate for a contract job.

Honestly, with every company I have ever worked for or worked with, have chosen experience over degrees. A degree doesn't mean you know what you are doing. Experience proves you know what is going on.

Exactly, but to get that experience you need a degree for "most" computing related jobs. You "bradybnmci" are strictly talking about helpdesk or entry level jobs that obviously dont require a degree, but if you go this route you will spend your entire life working up the ladder. You would be better off getting a degree rather then working some crappy job. Unless that is what you want to do with your life, then by all means do it. It will be a hardfought life :).

There are hundreds of jobs that deal with computing that is not networking or even IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom