Best Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marineman227

Baseband Member
Just wondering what some of the best paying computer jobs out there are right now for someone just out of college. If you guys know from personal experience or have information about it i would appreciate it. I'm starting college soon and i like doing anything with computers so money after college is kind of a guiding principle.

If your just starting college and want to get a "computer" degree, I would say, get a degree you REALLY like, because its what you want to do in life/career/etc.

Do not pick one because it "pays big bucks".

Why do I say this? Because computers and technology changes very fast and often. If you choose a degree today based on the highest paying job... In 4 years, that job market not be there, or pays a lot lower.

As far as a guiding principle, IMO, all computer jobs will pay good.... NOW and in the future.

NOW, there are many, many people with computer degrees that are jobless... which who will disagree with what I'm saying....
BUT there will always be a market for smart, flexible, teachable, outgoing, good speakers/communicators who know computers.

IMO, a good number of people who have great computer degrees with out a job, are people who "specialized" in one technology field. Or maybe they were not flexible, teachable, personalable, or lacked certain other skills needed.

Uhm.... I don't think this post is coming out right :)

Let me put it this way, what ever computer degree you get, make sure you can:
- talk to end users
- talk to a CEO
- understand marketing and sales
- be able to manage a project
- write requirements
- write code
- etc. etc.

Be able to do ALL those things within your computer degree.

Example of what I find very true:
There are so many great and talented programmers out in the job market right now, but very few can speak to management.
Very few can talk with end users to gather requirements.

anyway... enough of my soap box

Good Luck

Larry is right. While programming and software development pay extremely well, they are not the best positions. You will likely be infront of a computer all day with minimal social contact. And remember that what you decide to do, you will be doing that everyday for the rest of your life with pressures like paying bills.

Be mindful and talk to different proffessionals.
good luck

You'll regret not getting a degree in something your passionate about. If your interested in it and good enough then you will make more than enough money. Plus, if your not going to school for a couple years then who knows that the big thing will be 6 years from now. Programming and advanced database management normally pay good right out of school. The more certifications the better though.

IMO, you should get a certification first, like a MCSE ou MCAD or whatever. then get a job and only then go to college.
While you are working you will be able to know what the market wants and get some experience. At the same time you're getting your degree. When you finhsih your degree you'll have 4+ years of working experience while the others (who never worked) have 0. Meanwhile you're already making some bucks and building a contact list.

EDIT: I know it's hard but in the end I think it's the best choice, of course you need to have the classes at night and work in the day or reverse. I've been doing it for the last 3 years.
I'm finishing my 5 year degree in computer science, just studied for the first 2 years, then went working at day (Helpdesk for the leading Portuguese telco ) for the others 3 and having classes at night.
My collegues never worked, I have 2,5 years of experience, some bucks (I pay college from my own money). Another 4 months and I'll finish it. It was hard with many nights awake but I think it was worth it.

for what I see now, I shoud Had taken the MCSD before going to college.

I have a degree in computer networking, really specialized and not enough training for the job I am looking for, I am currently working at a unpaid internship to get experience. my education will never get me a job unless it is a bs or even a ms. I am going back to get a ccna cert and my bs or ever masters.

It was either this or go into fixing cars and they are even bigger pain than computers.

If nothing else take a business course at least that will include business communication and that is very very important. All of my friends that got certifications are either jobless or in a deadend job not getting paid well. I work for more then they do right out of highschool no certs, no schooling because I communicate with my firm so well and have shown I dont need a piece of paper that tells me I am certified to do a job I already know how to do. Dont forget you can teach yourself everything a school will teach you if you have the right attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom