Is anyone working as a Computer Analysist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With companies like Motorolla, Sun Microsystems among many others and a rumor that Microsoft is going to be laying people off i dont see how anyone could say that Tech Jobs are on a incline in the USA.

If one of the biggest companies in M$ is rumored to lay off roughly 15,000 people. I dont see how that would be possible.

Hey everyone, I am thinking about heading into this career field and would like more information on it. I've checked a lot of websites, but they're kinda general and are more like overviews.

Some things I would like to know are: How long do you usually work, how hard was it to find a job after college, how big or small are your tasks, how often do you have to attend classes to keep up to date with the technology?

Another thing is, I've heard that the technology of computers change so fast that by the time I've finished my undergrad, the information I've learned would be old stuff. Is this true? How would it affect how I get a job?
Tons more questions, but I just lost them, I will keep posting as they pop up.

Any additional information or comments on this field is greatly apprecitated.
Thank You.

Hi Johnny,

I have slightly different views. No matter what field you are into, you have to keep your pace in order to succeed.Analyst, QA, Testing, Serps and many other are well paid roles. If you want to be a sucessful computer analyst, then the primary thing that matters is the way you analyze things. Technology change and people learn it, Its not mandatory that you should take a course and do it. If you have a will to learn, you can do it anywhere. I was a newbie when i started my career but right now i know whatever happens, i can survive :happy:.

There are many learning platforms and you are on right path. You and me noth can learn **** lot of info by posting and reading forums..

ENjoy your time here like i am doing now :D

Thank you Micky. I believe that the better I understand something the easier it would be for me to figure out where to go, that is why I ask whenever I can.

That is a reasonable projection DoubleHelix, thank you for your contribution to this thread. I guess this is one of those things that the job overviews leave out.

I just read an article the other day that cited a 25% decline in tech jobs in the US. It all depends on how the particular study chooses to define "analyst" or "tech job". I stick to common sense. I've seen hundreds of company ship tech jobs overseas where Indians are more than happy to perform the same exact work as Americans for poverty wages. You can't change fundamental economic principles. The jobs are cheaper overseas.

That's not completely true.

Yes, they send some jobs to India. These are the low-end IT jobs like tech support and other basic things like that.

The truth is, they CAN'T send all the IT jobs overseas, it's just not possible. There will ALWAYS be people that need to be doing work in this country. IT is actually a very good field to go into at this point in time, as the job market for it is increasing very rapidly. There's expected to be something around a million computer and information related jobs in America in the next 5 years or so. And graduates of IT and CS get good starting salaries as well.

So you could say that tech jobs are decreasing because of the economic recession, but there's no job market that isn't shrinking right now. However, I'm confident that in 6 years when you're looking for a job, the economy will be in much better shape.

That's not completely true.

Yes, they send some jobs to India. These are the low-end IT jobs like tech support and other basic things like that.
Not at all true. Higher level analyst jobs and engineering jobs are being shipped overseas as well. My friends and former co-workers can attest to it.

EDIT: I see you're a high school student, Ethan, so I'll try to cut you some slack. But, bluntly, you have no idea what you're talking about. I live and work in the real, corporate world. I'm telling you that college graduates with 5-10 years of experience are seeing their IT jobs disappearing to India.

I hate to say it but DH is telling you the truth so I would listen to what DH is saying. And Mak as well.

WOW, :(
from what it seems, the future of this field in the U.S. is pretty bleak.
Is there ANY light down the road?

Not likely. I graduated with a bs in late 2k6 and became a contractor. I've had 3 projects (one that lasted 8 months) this past year. All the projects I've been on including the 8-month project did not require a lot of technical skill (probably could get by with an A+/Network+); so I was surprised to see how many older folks were on these projects--at least 60% of the contractors were over 40.

Many of the guys had solid work experience, but were laid off and/or just didn't have any other options at the time. And I'm sure most of them would be more than qualified for that analyst job you linked to. And that's the thing, there's so many eligible IT workers that employers can take their sweet time picking the most qualified people and underpaying them. :mad:

With IT and probably many other fields (nowadays) you have to take whatever you can get and hope they pick you up full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom