I like this place! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Toshiro Send a message via Yahoo to Toshiro
Default I like this place!

Yo.

Been here a little while, mostly hovering in the Hardware section.

Anyways, just thought I'd post some of my computer experience for suspicious types to find.

First computer: some crappy little IBM Thinkpad laptop with 133 MHz processer and about 16MB RAM running Windows 98 SE. Around 700MB harddrive capacity, floppy drive only. Got it when I was about 12 or 13. Barely runs anything anymore, and the internal modem is broken. Gave it to my mom when I got my....

Second computer: nice Compaq Armada 7770DMT laptop with 233 MHz proccessor (Pentium I) and 64MB RAM running Windows 98 SE. Around 3GB harddrive capacity, with swappable floppy and CD-ROM drives. Got it when I was about 14. Nice upgrade from the previous. Still have it, still use it. Runs most applications, but as of late, most games and video are beyond it.

Third computer: my main pride and joy, an eMachines T2245 with 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor and 256MB DDR SDRAM running Windows XP Home Edition. A reasonable 40GB harddrive (Ultra DMA or whatever that is O.o), DVD-ROM, CD-Rewriter, and floppy (plus, it has USB!). Came with 3D Intel Extreme Graphis AGP vid card. Got it when I was 15. Unbelievable upgrade from previous computers. I was shocked and amazed that it could run Grand Theft Auto III with almost no problems and little lag.

As for experience, I've worked on a friend's hybrid 486 (Win95) getting it to recognize a CD-ROM drive (after determining the one she wanted me to install didn't work :b) which involved tedious BIOS manipulation. I've reinstalled Windows 98 on my second laptop. I'm about to install a new harddrive on my other friend's computer, after determining his HD was crashing slowly but surely. I'm planning to downgrade my girlfriend's overworked (not overclocked, it's running WindowsXP but it's hardware is MUCH more suited for Win98), from XP Home to 98 SE, and removing it's 3 partitions, leaving just one big one. And I've installed a second network card in my third computer, so that I could share my DSL connection through a dual comp network (the other comp being my second laptop, or whose-ever computer I happen to have at my house at the time).

So yeah, I know a lot more about computers than your average newbie. I think I know more about computers than my old Business Computer Information Systems class teacher (who didn't know that Java was necessary to play Java games (as she said we could play online games when we finished our work in class, and was confuzzled when people asked why most games didn't work or load at all)). Nyeh, I don't like to brag much.

CPU: 2.2GHz Intel Celeron
Vid: Gigabyte NVidia MX 4000 (128 MB DDR, TV out)
Sound: onboard
RAM: 512MB DDR
HD: 40GB (1:3 partitioned), 34GB
Drives: DVD R/RW and 16x DVD-ROM
Browser: FireFox
ISP: AT&T/SBC Yahoo! DSL
Old 07-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Welcome to TF, Toshira. Thats cool about you knowing more than your computer teacher at school. I was the same way, and even corrected my teacher (she actually believed Win9x was independent of DOS..lol.) I was one of her least favorite students. Anyway, glad you like it here. Out of all the forums I have visited, this is definately the best and most friendly one.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

This is my first post, nice to meet you all.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Toshiro Send a message via Yahoo to Toshiro

hello beedubaya and rocos! yeah this place is both friendly AND helpful (not something you find happening that often in forums)... oh and it's Toshiro... with an O :b
CPU: 2.2GHz Intel Celeron
Vid: Gigabyte NVidia MX 4000 (128 MB DDR, TV out)
Sound: onboard
RAM: 512MB DDR
HD: 40GB (1:3 partitioned), 34GB
Drives: DVD R/RW and 16x DVD-ROM
Browser: FireFox
ISP: AT&T/SBC Yahoo! DSL
Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Toshiro! Welcome to Tech-Forums.

Dave

P.S. Rocos, feel free to make your own intro thread!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You all are kind, I like this forum!

Closed Thread