Aspiring IT specialist here! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Lalien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Lalien
Default Aspiring IT specialist here!

I have been studying Web Development for the past year or so and it's going great. However, I'm going to need a bit more time before I can become fully self sufficient at it to get a job as a Junior Developer.

In the meantime time, I want to study for certifications so I can enter the IT field.
I like to build computers and I am looking to possibly set up some networks as well.

I know it's more than that, but I gave you the bare bones overview but what certifications should I get? I know that I'm getting the A+, but what others are there?

My expected graduation time is August 2014, but I'm not sure how valuable an Associate's Degree in Web Development would be. A real university is not an option right now. My mom is sick, the campus is far and at this point, I just don't think she can take care of herself anymore.


I need somebody who is experienced in this field and can tell me straight up what I need.

If it matters, I've been currently working at the Sheraton hotel as a concierge/bellman for the last 4 months. Stuff has really gone downhill and it has made my workplace a very uncomfortable environment. I love what I do but my coworkers just make my job a living hell. So I need to really get it in gear and start learning fast.
__________________

Lalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
iFargle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 4,024
Default Re: Aspiring IT specialist here!

Welcome to the forums!
__________________

__________________
7700k 32GB RAM 512GB 960 Pro GTX 1080 NCase M1
15" Retina MBP || 64GB Nexus 6P || 64GB iPad Air 2
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: Aspiring IT specialist here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalien View Post
I have been studying Web Development for the past year or so and it's going great. However, I'm going to need a bit more time before I can become fully self sufficient at it to get a job as a Junior Developer.

In the meantime time, I want to study for certifications so I can enter the IT field.
I like to build computers and I am looking to possibly set up some networks as well.

I know it's more than that, but I gave you the bare bones overview but what certifications should I get? I know that I'm getting the A+, but what others are there?

My expected graduation time is August 2014, but I'm not sure how valuable an Associate's Degree in Web Development would be. A real university is not an option right now. My mom is sick, the campus is far and at this point, I just don't think she can take care of herself anymore.


I need somebody who is experienced in this field and can tell me straight up what I need.

If it matters, I've been currently working at the Sheraton hotel as a concierge/bellman for the last 4 months. Stuff has really gone downhill and it has made my workplace a very uncomfortable environment. I love what I do but my coworkers just make my job a living hell. So I need to really get it in gear and start learning fast.
A basic Microsoft cert and something like Cisco CCNA would be a great start. Cisco CCNA is pretty involved, though.

I only have A+, N+ and Microsoft MCTS. But i'd like the get a Cisco qualification in the future, I know a bit of Cisco stuff but not enough to pass the exam.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Lalien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Lalien
Default Re: Aspiring IT specialist here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
A basic Microsoft cert and something like Cisco CCNA would be a great start. Cisco CCNA is pretty involved, though.

I only have A+, N+ and Microsoft MCTS. But i'd like the get a Cisco qualification in the future, I know a bit of Cisco stuff but not enough to pass the exam.
It sounds like you're pretty locked and loaded right now.

What kind of job do you have? If you don't mind me asking.
Lalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 405
Default Re: Aspiring IT specialist here!

If you want to be a web developer then Cisco certs will do nothing for you. They are purely for networking fields. Microsoft certs are always nice, though. I think that an MCSD in Web Apps would probably be right up your alley. Network+ is good for non-networking positions to show that you've got some networking chops, but it's probably not necessary.

I'm in networking and not development, though, so I'm sure someone else will have some better into for you.
DistraughtSysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: Aspiring IT specialist here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalien View Post
It sounds like you're pretty locked and loaded right now.

What kind of job do you have? If you don't mind me asking.
I'm an IT Systems Engineer for an energy firm.

Roles are from setting up users phones, tablets, laptops to patching ports, helpdesk support, monitoring servers and link status and so on. It's a pretty varied role.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States of America
Posts: 15
Default Re: Aspiring IT specialist here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
I'm an IT Systems Engineer for an energy firm.

Roles are from setting up users phones, tablets, laptops to patching ports, helpdesk support, monitoring servers and link status and so on. It's a pretty varied role.
That sounds like a kind of job i'd like to get into once i get out of college; good info!
__________________

mike_branco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.