Share the iTunes Library on a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I donÂ’t like the iTunes software that much - it is slow and big and the only reason for me to use it is that it is the offical software that comes with the iPod. I recently ran into a problem which was fixed pretty fast by a quick tip that I found at one tip a day. I assume that iTunes is already installed at least on your main computer and you want to access the same library of songs that are stored on the main computer.

You need to locate the file iTunes Library.itl on this computer which is usually stored in username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes. You need to share the folder iTunes. To do this right-click the iTunes folder and select Sharing and Security from the context menu. If there is no Sharing and Security entry you will have to enable simple file sharing by clicking on Tools and selecting Folder Options.

Click on the view tab and activate simple file sharing in the advanced settings (scroll down). Enable the options ‘Share this folder in the network’ and ‘Allow network users to change my files’ in Sharing and Security.

The final step would be to start iTunes on the other computer and hold down the shift key which will open a menu during startup. Select Choose Library and select the iTunes Library.itl file from the main computer.

ThatÂ’s it. You can now access your iTunes configuration from the second computer as well and all changes made will be global. You can repeat the process if you have more than two computer.

http://www.onetipaday.com/2007/01/25/how-to-use-the-same-itunes-library-on-a-home-network/

Warez Monster said:
I donÂ’t like the iTunes software that much - it is slow and big and the only reason for me to use it is that it is the offical software that comes with the iPod.

You know that Winamp OWNS ITunes right?

You can share the music easily, just drag files into Shared Music and Share the folder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom