Mozilla Weave Synchronizes Firefox Data Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Mozilla Weave Synchronizes Firefox Data Online

Everyone who has to work on multiple computers knows that it can be extremely hard to have the same data available on all of the computers where it is needed. If you take Firefox as an example you might miss your bookmarks, settings and stored passwords on another computer and it would be pretty convenient to have access to them there as well.
I use Moz Backup for Firefox to backup my data and import it to my Toshiba Notebook that I use when I'm traveling. Mozilla Weave is using a slightly different approach that automates the process further. It provides an online storage for Firefox 3 profile data that can be used on any computer connecting if the correct user data is provided.
http://www.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/firefox_weave.png
After installing Weave on the first computer a wizard is guiding through the initial account setup. This has to be done once only, all other computers with Weave can use the login details, that is username, password and passphrase, from that computer to connect to Weave and sync the data.
It is up to the user to select the data that will be stored at the Weave servers. By default Bookmarks, Cookies, Tabs and Browsing History will be synchronized. Saved Passwords and Form Data are optional and experimental at this stage. The transfer of the data to the server can take a while depending on the amount of data that has to be transferred.
The data will be encrypted and the transfer puts some strain on Firefox which did become unresponsive in that time on my system. Weave will connect to the server periodically after the initial synchronization if data has been changed on the computer.
Options to store extensions and themes among other things are already visible in the add-on but not selectable currently. Weave will be a nice option for users who are using multiple computers. I prefer to use Mozbackup instead to export and import data because I work with one computer at home and use the other only when traveling which is not that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom