PS3 drive help

deadanddripping

Beta member
Hi, my 2 year old stuffed my PS3 with toy money. I took it to bits, retrieved the coins but now the disc doesn't spin. I took the top of and the mechanisms all seem to work. If I have just the lower part of the drive in place I can operate everything the disc and mechanism does with my fingers and the drive and laser worked but with the metal carriage in the bottom position. So to summarise in case I sound confused, the laser works but only when the metal carriage is down, not when up in the place it needs to be to work. Any ideas? Please help I need to play the new skylanders game I have as a present for the pup!

Could be many things. Whilst I don't know much about optical drives I can tell you from experience that the PS3 can do many odd things. In my case, the console will play games fine and can eject disks if it is done via the OS, yet it will eject disk if I press the eject button on the system and refuses to load a disk if the disk was in the PS3 when it was turned on. At least try opening your system up and unpluging and then reinstalling the ribbon cable between your optical drive and mobo (could be a lose connection). Ultimatly, you should contact Sony (but try to make it sound like you didn't open up your system). Also you should post what model of PS3 you have as they are all different inside. For reference mine is a 80gb fat PS3.

I've had the ribbon connected and reconnected a few times now. I guess I was trying to figure which switch does what. The load and eject mechanism works and the disc locates on the spindle. If I take the ejection mechanism off I can trigger the white loading arm which runs the motor and trigger the bit underneath which moves the laser carriage up. The carriage then drops back down, the laser comes on and the spindle runs but is too low to drive the disc. I cant seem to get this to happen in the up position located in the disc. Anyone know about the mechanics here? I have proved the drives work but just not at the same time! Frustrating to say the least! It's a PS3 slim by the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom