Used Nintendo Games.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Decided to give the Nintendo section a bit more love for my rant.

Am I wrong in thinking that wanting more for a game that is over 10 years old than what I paid for a used game for a modern console being quite ridiculous? I just got a very good copy of FF 13-2 for 17 bucks at Gamestop last week. For the past few months I have been looking around trying to get used Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 and nobody wants anything less than 25 bucks. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying 25 dollars for a 10+ year old game that has Sharpie all over it from your bratty children that obviously hasen't been taken care of. I offered the lady 10 dollars due to the fact that last year I got used GBA games from Gamestop that all had save issues. She said she wont take anything less than 25 so I said screw it and dropped on a USB to N64 controller adapter.

The same can be said for used SNES and NES games. I can understand those being a bit higher as they are harder to come by, but I have seen at the minimum 7 adds in my area wanting to sell those 2 particular games (and even other unpopular N64 games) for 25 or more. :No:

I bought The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time limited edition with the box used for $30 from a store called Video Game Exchange last year. I never looked for Mario Kart 64 there but games like super smash brothers were around $15-$20 used there, although I'm sure they could be talked down. I'll have to take a look at how much they sell the "great" N64 games for the next time I stop in.

We have a few shops around here that sell used older games. One of them wanted OVER what they went for new back in the day. Seriously, who is stupid enough to spend 70 bucks on a used Mario 64?

Some of the old games, yes I can see them wanting that price. I mean copies of FF2 or FF3 for SNES are very rare as it is. As is Chrono Trigger for SNES. So to ask $40 or more for such games is not uncommon. I have been offered $55 for my copy of FF2 for SNES.

But games for the N64 can still demand a price for 1 simple reason. The system itself never took off. People couldnt give them away let alone try to sell the games long after the GC was released. Heck I remember going into GameStop long after the PS2 was released still seeing copies of Mario64 for N64 sitting there. With the availability of these games getting harder and harder, people can start to ask much more for them.

I dont remember but I still got quite a few NES, SNES and N64 games sitting around. Will have to find them.

That's the thing, there are a ton of people trying to sell these games second hand. Pretty much everybody I know personally around my age has had an N64 and these 2 games. It's not like I'm asking for the gold OoT or something.

Yes, FF2 for SNES I'd give 50 bucks for. I'd give 50 for another gold Zelda 1 to replace the one that somebody stole from me. Mario and Mario Kart 64 though, these games are very common. On release Mario 64 was a free game for the 64 which is how I got mine. I just don't see why people think they can get so much for them. Worst part is, some of these adds I have seen on CL for months. It appears I'm not the only one who thinks they are over price used copies. Either that, or they just aren't that sought after.

In my area, the chance to find a N64 cart is rare. Maybe they are going by the fact that some people can get more money for such things on eBay?

Well here is just some of the stuff I got lying around.

NES -
Zelda 1 & 2 Gold Carts, Final Fantasy, ShadowGate, Dragon Warrior, Castlevania 1, 2 &3

N64 -
F-ZeroX, Castlevania, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Mario64 and a GameShark Pro for N64. I also have a Memory Card and TremorPack that plug into the controller. Sadly I dont have Mario Kart. Must have sold that one.

SNES -
Super Street Fighter II, Breath of Fire, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Madden 96, NHL 96

I know who has my copes of FF2 & 3. Shouldnt be to hard to get them back if wanted.

I need to find my copy of FF3 for SNES...man I loved that game.

I also wish I could find my copy of Super Mario RPG, since it's nearly impossible to find that game under 35-40 bucks.

Some games are just rare. There are plenty of N64/SNES games you can buy at used game stores dirt cheap, because they were more common. The popular/rare/awesome games are all collectibles at this point, so it's easy to charge a premium since everyone else is.

Man. I have most of my old systems, but the two things I miss more than anything are my Sega Master System and my Commodore 64/VIC20 setup. Sigh. I had so much cool stuff for those.

EDIT: I just remembered my pride and joy game in my collection: Mario Kart for the SNES, in the box and sealed. :O So glad I know where that is haha.

Well for me I kept all my old systems and games just for sentimental value. Most of the stuff now has been sitting in my closet for years doing nothing. So I have no issues parting with the stuff. Anything that I really want, I have replaced with something else. I got the entire Final Fantasy Series on Playstation and can continue to play them with the PS3. I even have FF7 and FF8 downloaded to my PS3 that I purchased. If I really wanted to go back and Play FF1, FF2, or FF3 I just load up one of the PS collections and play away.

I still have Mario available thru the Wii if I wanted to play them and I have OoT Master Collection for GC that I can still play on my Wii, as I have an original model that can play the GC games still unlike the newer models that cant.

So really I have no love lost for getting rid of any of the stuff. My NES, N64 are doing nothing but taking up space. Heck I was probably gonna toss them when we bought our house and moved cause I don't need to store that stuff anymore. While I do miss the old days of playing those systems and games, it just isn't worth trying to hook them up to my TV anymore. time to just part ways and get rid of the stuff.

I can't do that for some reason. When my parents house and storage when up in flames I felt really lucky that my PS1, PS2, SNES, NES, and N64 made it out ok. My original grey N64 controller is pretty melted but it all still works. I'm still pretty torn over half my collection was stolen before bt I guess eventually before my son is old enough to play these games I'll get some of those games back.

I have 2 N64 controllers sitting around as well if you need them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom