Question about consoles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox 360 has Halo 3, plays Xbox games, has a controller that fits in your hand properly, isn't ridiculously expensive, and has good graphics. PS3 may have some exclusives, but none of them interest me. I don't feel like throwing money away on Blu-Ray (there's a ton of movies on our college network, no need to buy them, especially not on expensive Blu-Ray). A gaming machine is a gaming machine, I don't really care if it plays movies or not. I rarely use my 360 to play DVD's, usually use my laptop for that.

If you don't have a gaming pc and don't plan on building one (shame) then I would have to say get a 360. Better online for a minuscule price, good controller (bought one for my pc for GTA and racing games and such), access to Windoze and 360 only games (quite a few in this category). No BluRay but as mentioned there's the netflix thing. If you have a gaming comp then I would go for the PS3 without hesitation. Then you have access to most of the Microsoft exclusives (which might include GoW2 and Halo 3 eventually, not that they're worth buying. Fable 2 is the only game I long for. Maybe Banjo and Kazooie but it looks butchered) and PS3 exclusives like Little Big Planet, L.A. Noire, inFamous, God Of War. My 2 cents, spend it as you will.

Xbox 360 has Halo 3, plays Xbox games, has a controller that fits in your hand properly, isn't ridiculously expensive, and has good graphics. PS3 may have some exclusives, but none of them interest me. I don't feel like throwing money away on Blu-Ray (there's a ton of movies on our college network, no need to buy them, especially not on expensive Blu-Ray). A gaming machine is a gaming machine, I don't really care if it plays movies or not. I rarely use my 360 to play DVD's, usually use my laptop for that.

Halo 3 is known to be coming to PC.
360 controller works flawlessly on PC.
Most people already own a PC.

Why throw your money away on a 360 then? This is my point, I can see someone preferring console gaming over PC.... but a 360/PC gamer just seems ludicrous and redundant.

Guitar Hero World Tour PC?
Rock Band PC?
Banjo Kazooie PC?
Halo 3 PC (as of now, with XBOX Live support)?

Face it, there are plenty of 360 games that aren't for PC, aren't going to be for PC for a long time, and probably will never be for PC. Also, the PC versions tend to all be distorted and burdened by heavy restrictive DRM and serial codes, none of which are needed on console. PC gaming is great, but it isn't a reason not to have a console as well. The 360 controller works on PC (so do plenty of other joysticks, the PS3 game pad, the Wiimote+accessories) but that doesn't mean anything, if anything it's better, the 360 controller fits my hands perfectly and has well placed controls, great for 360 and PC gaming. None of the games mentioned as PS3 exclusive seem even slightly interesting to me and the controller (and all previous PS controllers) have a horrible fit to my hand (reaching thumbs to the sticks in the middle for FPS is a pain, the Xbox 360 layout with the left stick on top feels better in my opinion. Blu Ray support on PS3 - meh. There's no need, plenty of immersive, huge games with seemingly endless worlds have been easily fit on a single layer DVD. If you need 10000 hours of cutscenes or 1080p full motion live video, go ahead, use BluRay, but I want games, not movies. If I wanted movies I'd be at a theater or I'd turn on my PC. Besides, I can stream videos from my PC to my 360 if absolutely necessary, and there are much better options to acquire movies on PC than on PS3 (not just downloading, but ripping from DVD, recording from TV tuner, copying from YouTube, etc and streaming to 360).

As for Netflix, I don't care enough about movies to bother with any paid services. In the very rare occasion I want to watch a movie, I usually already have the DVD, and if not, I probably can get it off the dorm LAN, and if not that, I either rent it or download it. I watch maybe one movie every two months, so it isn't even important that a system play them to me.

What I like about the 360 is that it has good games, a good interface, a good online service, and full integration of all of its features. 20GB may be kinda small, but I can always upgrade later to a bigger drive (without having to disassemble the whole entire thing and void warranty just to swap hard drives, mind you). I also can save stuff to memory cards.

There are some things that are meant for PC's (Oblivion, for example, is a great PC game, same with Orange Box and most other FPS'es). Halo 3 is one of the rare examples of a quality console FPS. It is a game that is best with multiple people, something you can't do well on most PC games (single-PC multiplayer? unheard of!). Same goes with Rock Band/Guitar Hero, these games are meant to be played with friends, and PC's have never been good at multiplayer (not counting LAN or online multiplayer, PC's are great at that).

Plus I got my 360 for free (broken, fixed it), but if it should permanently die, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing a replacement (especially since the new ones are a lot better in terms of stability and quality, the red ring of death is rare on new systems).

Doesn't PS3 have guitar hero and rock band?

You're trying to arguably tell me that someone who is a PC gamer, who wants to look into consoles should go out and get a 360 over a PS3 because of Banjoo Kazooie and a couple other crappy REAL exclusive titles floating around? You alse use the controller in the defense....

I say... why not just buy the controller for $40 and hook it up to the PC and pretend you are consoles there? That seems like a much wiser decision rather than telling someone to buy a platform with the same game base, and spending an extra $10 per game.

My only point in recommending the PS3, is that a PC gamer will have many other gaming options (virtually any game on the market will be on a platform he has), maybe not necessarily games you might like... that's not the point -- but at least the options are there to have a decent quantity of exclusive titles not found on the PC or the 360.

Is this so hard to understand? I'm not saying game X is better than game Y or even that X console is better than Y.

Another point you are completely missing is that the average non-gamer doesn't have a gaming PC. Everyone has a PC these days, not gonna argue with that, but not everyone has a gaming PC. You aren't going to be playing Halo 3 PC, GTA4 PC, COD4 PC, Fallout 3 PC, or even Oblivion PC on an average bargain-bin WalMart/BestBuy PC.

For the average gamer, PC isn't even an option most of the time. My roommate has a few year old HP laptop with Vista, not a bad machine, but he gets about 10 frames per second on any modern game. This is the problem that consoles solve. Someone looking to play Guitar Hero with friends or an FPS when he's bored will first discover that his average PC will need hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades until it will play games well, so instead he can either buy a $200 360 and then $150 worth of games (2-3 games, more if he buys used at GameStop) or a $350 PS3 with no games.

PS3 isn't the console for everyone, in fact, it seems to be the console that appeals only to the most hardcore gamers. Nobody I know has one, wants one, or has any desire to play one, the 360 has the same mainstream games that it has and is a lot cheaper.

For someone who already has a gaming PC, it's really up to the gamer. If he wants PS3 exclusives and can afford a PS3, go ahead, if he wants something to put in the living room for multiplayer Rock Band with friends, there's no reason to spend the extra money on PS3.

You're trying to arguably tell me that someone who is a PC gamer, who wants to look into consoles should go out and get a 360 over a PS3 because of Banjoo Kazooie and a couple other crappy REAL exclusive titles floating around? You alse use the controller in the defense....

Your calling Banjo Kazooie a crappy game when you say little big planet is one of the best titles the PS3 has to offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom