GTA4 Sacrificed Fun For Realism ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Lets get something straight. All games should have some degree of realism, in my opinion, i allways thought. The more realstic the game was, the more fun it was. Hence how i prefer games liek COD4, Ghost Recon over games like Resistance 2, UT3, GoW.

I thought this would be true for GTA4, and for the very large majority i can infact confirm this is true. Realism ads depth to the game i could of only dreamed of... I just can't help but think that sometimes Rockstar seemed to have thought like this * Realism > Fun * And they have made some parts too realistic, and others not realisticly enough.

For example. Patrick (the irish guy called Packie) has the special ability of making you Car Bombs and dropping them off near by. Great ! was really looking forward to it. What a let down. The bomb is way underpowered, it blows up the car and thats it, maybe a pedestrian or two within 1 or 2 meters. Even cars right next to it merely smoke, cops right next to it dont die either. It's almost pointless, a mere show of fire balls and explosions (The not realistic enough part) . And then you can't even get another for 8 or so in game hours (not sure what this is in real life... long enough to go do something totally different for a while though) . Severely limiting the fun you can have with it (The too realistic part)

Too many police. You just can't do anything without the *******s turning up. Fire one shot, and they're their. Within seconds, literally. Realistic - Yes. Too Realistic prohobiting fun - Yes again. It's even OVER realistic, that wouldn't happen in real life.

You can't make a game this realistic, and then to have a simulation damage model that lets you blast a pedestrian with no armor 5 times with a remington shotgun to the chest from 10 meters away, get up and stumble off.

Not much to do with realism, but a real nuance. Your phone disapears if your hit or shot. How do you expect me to type in a cheat thats made to lower my wanted level, or ring someone up, if it dissapears everytime im hit by a bullet. Which coincidentally are very accurate, powerfull, and head seeking.

Fun weapons and vehicles. Rockstar failed to remember the small fact this is a sandbox game, sandbox games usually equip you with ludcrous things and let you create havok with them. Not so..The most powerfull weapon you get is some retarded slow moving RPG, that's very glitchy, and bounces off things at a 45 degree angle, somehow totally misses cars ( it gets to them and goes down the side of them, asif the car has a ' I haz a forcefield ' cat inside them.

So yes, there some of my gripes with GTA4. Fortunately i still have tremendoes fun on this game ! and wouldn't hesitiate to give it 98..99.. or even a 100 percent.

I give the game a B, the engine is spectacular but I don't really find the game that great. All these 10/10's keep developing my hate of gaming journalism.

I do agree that the game sacrificed realism for fun, but I don't think you elaborated enough on that -- there's so much more to add.

In five or so years, I will be playing GTA3 over GTA4, GTA3 is still the pinnacle of what GTA is.

GTA4 deserved the 10/10. No doubt. But yeah, the cops are annoying. I have to think whether i want to shoot someone now.......

I give the game a B, the engine is spectacular but I don't really find the game that great. All these 10/10's keep developing my hate of gaming journalism.

I do agree that the game sacrificed realism for fun, but I don't think you elaborated enough on that -- there's so much more to add.

In five or so years, I will be playing GTA3 over GTA4, GTA3 is still the pinnacle of what GTA is.

Theres only so much i can be bothered to type before wanting to go an dplay it again lol :p

I actually prefer GTA2 best overall.

I think your the only person to prefer GTA2 o_O

about the first 45 minutes I played, I wasn't all that impressed. But once you tune in to the new controls and get a hang of how stuff works it gets a lot more intense. The missions are by far a lot more fluid then in the previous GTA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom