Preparing a hard drive for sale - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > General Security Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Preparing a hard drive for sale

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which is 3 years old. Unfortunately a while back it developed a fault and wouldn't boot, I tried numerous things to try remedy the fault, but in the end just bought a replacement laptop.

I now want to prepare the faulty laptop for sale (as spare parts or whatever) and remove any personal data from the hard drive. I have used a hard drive caddy to recover my data files, however I am wondering if there is any other data on there I should be wary of? and since I cannot clean/format the drive using windows, where can I find them?

jonjon825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Default Re: Preparing a hard drive for sale

If your selling the laptop as Spares or Repairs you could just remove the Hard Drive it self.

If you are unsure on how to do this and want to leave the Hard Drive in for maximum profit then boot from a Windows or Linux boot disk and do a format of the drive.

If you are unsure how to do this as in booting from the Disk you need to follow on line instructions what you can find threw Google but in order to get the boot image, try this link.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

This is just a link to Linux Mint 18.1 but after burning it will provide you with options to erase all DATA on your drive when you boot from this image.

Spud1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud1200 View Post
If your selling the laptop as Spares or Repairs you could just remove the Hard Drive it self.

If you are unsure on how to do this and want to leave the Hard Drive in for maximum profit then boot from a Windows or Linux boot disk and do a format of the drive.

If you are unsure how to do this as in booting from the Disk you need to follow on line instructions what you can find threw Google but in order to get the boot image, try this link.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

This is just a link to Linux Mint 18.1 but after burning it will provide you with options to erase all DATA on your drive when you boot from this image.
I think I will keep the hard drive and sell the rest. Sounds like less hassle this way and maybe the hard drive could be handy one day.

Thank you for your input.
jonjon825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

You could always use Boot and Nuke ( Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing ).

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon825 View Post
I think I will keep the hard drive and sell the rest. Sounds like less hassle this way and maybe the hard drive could be handy one day.

Thank you for your input.
I second this option.

Keep the drive and sell the rest.

Even if you use DBAN like Trotter suggested, or Killdisk, there's still specialty tools out there that can recover information - and you don't necessarily know who will be getting hands on your old drive.

In the end, better to just keep the drive.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote