WoW... have a quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
well i've been thinking of trying world of warcraft, just because i never have. The only thing, however, is that a friend of mine, who really doesn't play computer games all that much, told me you have to buy an account as well as the game..

so in other words, you pay a membership almost, to play the game.

is this true with just WoW? All MMORPG's? none?

Yes, you buy the game and then you pay a monthly fee of $15 i think (it's £9 here in the UK), this can be payed via credit card, or via pre-paid scratchcards from your store.

Most MMO's have this system, but there are also other MMO's payment systems.

-The 1 time payment (e.g. Guild Wars) you pay for the game, and it's free forever.

-The pay to play: client is free, you only pay when you play.

-The ad based scheme: the game is totally free, the developers make their money through in-game ads (e.g. Anarchy Online)

I Play WoW, Guild Wars, and Anarchy Online, and they are 3 verry different games, but 1 thing I would say, is that WoW has alot more content wise than the other 2, and it truly is an excellent game.

It hasn't had 6 million sales for nothing :)

I've been playing WoW on and off now for over a year and half. Your right w/ you thinking on how the costs work. YOu have to purchase the game, then pay a monthly fee of 15 bucks. You can also elect to pre pay for 3 months or 6 months too. There are games that don't require the monthly but they don't offer as much content (as stated by previous poster).

I think the pay to play games are worth it if the gameplay and look is the type your looking for. They have regular updates to fix problem, add content, and some even have world events that effect the entirety of the game.

hmm... well i think i'll give it a shot for a month or two, but it still seems a little strange to pay for a game, and then pay to play it :(

i guess im used to FPS and stuff when all you do is pay for the game and use someone else's server

thanks for the reply's!

dont get wow if you value your soul!

And yeah, I think it's BS to have to pay for that crap but it's become the norm for a few years now. They are supposed to use that money to make bigger servers, keep em updated, add new things to the game, etc..etc..

You have to pay but can offset the balance by playing alot and selling off your gold and items. :)

yeah........my friend sold his WoW account for $1200 :amazed:

Don't bother asking me what level he was or any crap like that because I don't know, nor do I care.

I used to hate the idea of having to pay to play. However when I started getting into MMO, i realised that I was actually saying money.

You look at the new games now days. You are lucky now to get any thing beyond 12 hours play time on a single player campaign. And this is a game that you just spent about AU$90 for. It was working out that every 2 weeks, I was purchasing new game because I finished the last one.
In fact, I remember there were some times where I managed to return a few games back to EB Games as it was with in their 7 Day Return Policy.

So easily, I was going through around about $180 per month on games.

And then I started playing MMOs. For a $20 per month, I get endless hours of play. Plus there is the idea of meeting new people. Like the guild I am currently playing does have the occassional Off Line Event. It might be Bowling, Pizza, Movie or some thing, but there is the chance to meet new people too.

However there is some people that are extremely obsesive about the MMOs. I have seen people ruin their lives because of a WOW.
Plus there is a few players that I do know that get rather nasty on the computer. Like my previous house mate that would yell all sorts of abuse just because some one PKed / Ganked him.
At the end of the day.... It's just a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom