The right Eithernet chord

I'm not opposed to making my own. I actually enjoy putting together my own parts and what not :)

sent from Spartaknight

It's extremely easy. Toughest part is memorizing the pinout (and that's not all that tough) lol. After doing a few cables, you'll have it memorized and be able to just sit whip out cables easily.

I mean does the clip hold well if you do it yourself? I wouldn't imagine the company's that make them do anything special to help them last?

sent from Spartaknight

I mean does the clip hold well if you do it yourself? I wouldn't imagine the company's that make them do anything special to help them last?

sent from Spartaknight

Yes it holds fine as long as you get the cable's jacket far enough into the end before you crimp it.

Yes it holds fine as long as you get the cable's jacket far enough into the end before you crimp it.

That arrow is where the jacket has to make it at the very least... there's a little bump on the inside that crimps down onto the jacket. Some folks don't have the jacket that far in, and it will hold, but it holds onto the wires instead, which can break and don't hold that well to begin with.

Attachments

• ethstep7_large.jpg
    ethstep7_large.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
I wouldn't imagine the company's that make them do anything special to help them last?

And no, they don't. As long as you make it look like that picture, it's good to go. Make sure you can see the copper at the end when you look at the front of the clip, also. Pretty easy. The crimping tool can make it harder if it's a crappy tool. I've used a few of those. :annoyed:

Here's a pinout diagram for your reference:

ethcable568b.gif

This is the 586B standard; there's also a 586A pinout you could follow, but it's mainly up to you which to use. I don't believe there's a difference, just pick one and stick with it.

568A may not work if it doesn't match the plug...

What's the Difference Between T568A and T568B?

That's why I said choose 1 standard - because you have to do both ends the same on 1 cable.

And the reason I gave a schematic for BT568B:
Even though backward compatible with both one-pair and two-pair USOC wiring schemes, T568A has been largely superseded by the more up-to-date T568B. T568B and has become – overall – the most widely chosen wiring schematic because it matches AT&T's old 258A color code, but at the same time accommodates for current and future needs. In addition, T568B offers backward compatibility with USOC, though for only one pair.

Back
Top Bottom