New Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulquiorra Schiffer

In Runtime
My current monitor isn't that great for this computer. As you can already see in my signature, I have two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280s running on SLI.

Can anyone suggest a good monitor, preferably one that is on newegg.com?

Looks like I won't be buying a monitor anytime soon. I can't afford any of those monitors... all I wanted is a simple monitor.

When I was playing Portal, everytime I go in the elevator and it shakes I would notice some lines. I'm guessing that is because of the refresh rate.

You don't need a 30" monitor though. You could get a 24" with 1920x1200 resolution and that would help your cards feel wanted :p There's been some good deals on 24" monitors lately. You could pick up a good one for around $300.

Honestly from experience i would stick with 1080. Its a really decent resolution, and not many games out there supports 1920*1200 + watching a 1080p bluray would either end up in stretching (which looks absolutely horrible on an lcd) or pillar boxing (which is a waste of screen real-estate)

I picked up a 22" 1920*1080p hanns-g from the egg at roughly 139us on sale, dunno what it is now, but I have a link on my sig. saves some money, hdmi input, pretty decent. I love it! maybe get two and run dual monitors???

All the games I play support 1920x1200.

Call of Duty
Lord of the Rings Online
Dawn of War 2

I played the Crysis sp, and that supports it. I play ut3 and fc2 rarely. Those both support it. 1920x1200 is supported by pretty much all the recent pc games, and it is probably more standard than 1080p.

I have a computer hooked up to a 52" 1080p tv in the basement, and I had to mess around in the Nvidia control panel to get stuff to display right, so, from my experience, 1080p is worse. Although, this was probably because it was a tv as opposed to a monitor to be fair.

Who really watches 1080p movies on their computer anyway? Most people don't have bluray drives, and 1080p movies are so big that most people wouldn't get them the other way. Even if you are doing it, who cares about some small black lines at the top and bottom? They blend in.

Still, they both are good resolutions. I just don't want this dude to be scared away from 1920x1200 because of what you said. I agree though, dual monitors could be a good idea.

You don't need a 30" monitor though. You could get a 24" with 1920x1200 resolution and that would help your cards feel wanted :p There's been some good deals on 24" monitors lately. You could pick up a good one for around $300.
I got my HANNspree 24.6" monitor (1080p, hdmi, 2ms) from best buy for $250 so I'm sure that you could find one for quite a bit less than $300 online.

:EDIT: Also, I would not get a Samsung. They're almost always ridiculously overpriced compared to monitors with the same exact specs from a different manufacturer (and not a sub par manufacturer either). Asus, Acer, and Hans-G all make good quality monitors at great prices.

Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors - $220
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HH-251HPB Black 24.6" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(800:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors - $240
Newegg.com - ViewSonic X Series VX2433wm Black 23.6" 2ms(GTG); 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1(1000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors - $230

Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at some of these monitors. My current monitor isn't that great when I play games.

Things like explosions makes me easily notice some flickering in game, so it looks like the picture is getting divided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom