Natural Selection Bots

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATH-INCARNATE

In Runtime
hey i am looking for some really good Natural selection bots.

i know of RCbot and WHICHBOT they are ok but i need better.

ANYONE KNOW OR ANY OTHER COOL BOTS FOR Natural Selection.

thanks

DEATH-INCARNATE

Natural Selection is pretty complex (in bot-terms) so it's hard to find bots for it, and even harder to find good bots for it.

I use RC-Bot.

Personally, though, the only maps bots are good on at NS are maps where the Marines and Aliens are practically in the same room together. The bots don't hunt the map well.

The only use I really found for bots is doing testing, and learning. They're great for learning how to use the CC, 'cause you can't really use the CC without other players, and no one likes a n00b commander online so you kinda HAVE to play alone to learn.

With RC-Bot, definately alter the ladder-refresh setting to something like 20ms, instead of the default 300ms, else the bots will get stuck on ladders constantly (they always get stuck on ladders and lifts, but that's not the point). :) You should also vamp up their skill levels really high, and adjust their upgrade-ratios so they do more than play Skulk and Fade all the time. Also, find really good wapoints, or make them yourself. Only play VERY simple maps with VERY straightforward waypoints.

You can also use an admin command to switch teams while still playing. I found this great for learning, as I could join one team, build them up to a massive fortress of control over 80% of the map (since the bots are usually so confused with the map they can't play) then I would switch teams and practice attacking all that I had setup. This is great for practicing scenarios, like "what to do with a wall of alien OC's," or "practicing eating marines as Onos," or "what's the best way to secure a resource point."

Other than that...bots in NS suck. It's just a bit too complex.

i am looking for bots for the aliens. mainly because the aliens hardly build stuff; some maps they build nothing. they fight ok though. thanks for the advice though.

It's all a matter of the waypoint system, really. Most NS maps haven't been fully waypointed (or at all) and so the bots don't know what to do. They aren't made to just randomly throw stuff up.

i was looking for bots like counter-strike has. i friend has these cs bots that like learn the map and waypoint it.

I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

RhoBot and the other "learning" bots out there, can sometimes be good...and often be bad. You also have to know how to work with them, else they can really screw things up.

One of the biggest problems with "learning" bots is that if they run into a problem (not a hole or something, I mean a place where they like to spin around or a room they have trouble getting out of) they tend to create a wad of waypoints there, and always get stuck there no matter what.

You can usually turn the auto-waypointing on and off. My suggestion is that you start with no waypoints, let them run, and if things are going well, the first time you get things successful, turn the auto-waypointing off. They DON'T update waypoints, so a good set of auto-waypoints can be turned into a mess very quickly.

Nope.

But then again, I haven't looked for any new bots for NS in about 8 months, since I don't really use them that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom