Mass Effect: Massive Letdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ran it on Vista SP1 with a 4870 X2, so the dual GPU card couldn't be an issue (unless it is for XP). Not sure why it runs funny on your system.

I'm not sure either. My system runs everything else perfectly with no issues. This is the first game I've had problems with that I purchased off steam. Thankfully, it was only $19.99. I guess I'll wait until I upgrade my whole system. Blah... That just sucks.

Mass Effect's minimum requirement is Windows XP SP2. I'm not going to go updating my OS to play a game that's supposed to run and is not.

Actually most thing these days are expectng that you are running at least Windows Xp SP2.

Is there any reason why you have not gone up to WinXpSp2.

I think he is at SP2, and the minimum requirement for Mass Effect is SP2, so he is rightly frustrated :tongue:

The reason I have not gone up to SP3 is because the last time I tried going up to SP3, something went really wrong and I wasn't able to boot to windows. It was a never ending boot loop. I had to start all over again from scratch. I said at that point, I'll stay at SP2 until I upgrade to windows Vista or now windows 7.

The game should play fine on my system. So yes it's really frustration. I've checked all over the web and a lot in the Mass Effects community and there are many with the same issues. No resolve. It seems the devs are no help either. They are always pointing fingers at the end user.

The reason I decided to pick up Mass Effects was because I'm getting excited to get Dragon Age Origins. A new game from Bioware/EA. But, after this little experience, I might be having second thoughts about spending $50+ USD on something that could potentially not run when it's supposed to.

Just for giggles, I ran that website, "Will my system play it". And the results passed across the board for Mass Effects as well as Crysis, Far Cry 2, etc.. etc....

The restart bug was a real problem, but there are fixes for it. I was able to update all three AMD machines here to SP3. To be safe, check here and take the steps outlined.

could your firewall be blocking it?

Mass Effects is Allowed in my firewall. I have also tried turning it off.
Still same lag issue.

I also tried windowing the game like other users to adjust the settings. Same issue.

I also tried messing with the ATI Catalyst Control Panel settings. Created a whole new Mass Effect Profile. Tinkered with the settings like in as many ways I could think of.

*STILL SAME PROBLEM

What sort of sound card do you have? Try running the came in Stereo and not surround.
I know that this sounds strange, but the last Console Port game I playied (Alone In The Dark) was having very simulare problems to what you were discribing.
I was only luck that i managed to find this solution.

What sort of sound card do you have? Try running the came in Stereo and not surround.
I know that this sounds strange, but the last Console Port game I playied (Alone In The Dark) was having very simulare problems to what you were discribing.
I was only luck that i managed to find this solution.

I have a X-FI fatality pro card. All drivers are updated and current.
I've tinkered with the settings in the control panel and haven't found any relief for the problem yet.

***I think i'm going to attempt updating my XP SP2 to XP SP3 and see what happens.

Hopefully, SP3 update doesn't destroy my windows installation again... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom