Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyjdsn

Solid State Member
I have an old Compaq 800 mghz computer that I am thinking about changing the operating system on to linux. I do not have any experience with linux or computer programming. I just heard that the linux was a much more stable system, plus the windows 98 that is on it is always crashing.

Anyone have any recommendations or advice?

thanks

From what I hear Linux is a lot like DOS. The commands for DOS are (I think) a lot like the commands in Linux. You have to know the commands to do anything. The upside to this is that search google for "Linux Commands" and you will find tons of pages

Linux is meant for small networks but can be used on single machines

I hope this helps

Imaxle

Imaxle it is not really true. Linux nowdays is a lot more user friendly. Sunnyjsdn i will recommend you use Mandrake 9.2 or the latest version. It is real easy to install and use. I use it myself.

linux is great.

it's easy to install and pretty straight forward. there are gui's that will allow you to do anything so you dont have to worry about command line statements. give it a try and remember that google is your best friend.

since we r talkin about linux, my friend was having trouble installing programs and stuff, and some of the commands werent working, so is there an easier way to install stuff than through the commands? and what would cause some commands not to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom