HUGE problem with HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

juno_reactor

Baseband Member
I first bought HL2 when it first came out. I paid like $60 for it. I played it. Once, twice, and three times. Then, I didn't play it for a while. Since then, I bought a new HD and I wanted to re-install my game.

Problem is that now it says that the CD key is being used elsewhere. I don't recall giving out my game to anyone, so thats out of the question. What I'm wondering is what I can do to get my game going again! I've contacted Steam and they told me there's nothing I can do, but I know there has to be something I can do, even if its sending proff of purchase to Steam or Valve corporate or something becuase I just hate having the thought of wasting $60 like that... Any thoughts?

Contact Steam they will have the answer.
But you haven't lent the game to a friend have you?

download steam on your new hard drive and try your login details. if this is what
tells you then someone stole the account and contact valve.

Have you just forgotten your account details? your CD key will now be permanently tied to the account you created when you first installed the game - You cannot just reinstall the game and create a new account - you must login with your old account details. Is that what you're doing?

AHA! Thats exactly what i did! I must have forgotten my original account details. Password and everything. There is nothing I can do, I think.

If you can remember anything about the account valve can probably sort you out.

There must be some way of requesting a password reset to be emailed to the email setup on the account. If you know the account name it should be easy enough, if you have the old installation an the other harddrive you'll possibly find that one of the directory names is your account name.

check this out

I don't know if this has anything to with with anything, but on the Steam console, I see CS and HL2 as pre-loaded. I didn't download the games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom