Half Life 2 reflections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandwidthHogg

Banned
Has anybody noticed more/better reflections throughout Half-Life 2 after recent updates? The game seems like a different experience for me with better light shading and tons more things reflecting. I dunno, maybe its just me. Anybody else notice this?

Your not imagining it. Everything's shiney. We've been discussing it on the Steam forums and elsewhere and nobody quite knows what's causing it. (most likely something to do with the shaders and recent HDR support) It's kind of annoying. Valve needs to get there act together after the holidays because they've got LOTS of work to do.

Figured it out.... sort of.

It's something to do with the specular.

Go into model veiwer and open up the combine supersoldier. Observe how his arm pads and boots have the same shiney quality. Now click the box that says "specular". The effect goes away. The normal mapping also seems to have something to do with it. Perhaps maginifying the effect.

Seeing as how there's no way to disable specular in CSS, we'll just have to play with it 'till valve fixes it.

woot6600GT said:
Figured it out.... sort of.

It's something to do with the specular.

Go into model veiwer and open up the combine supersoldier. Observe how his arm pads and boots have the same shiney quality. Now click the box that says "specular". The effect goes away. The normal mapping also seems to have something to do with it. Perhaps maginifying the effect.

Seeing as how there's no way to disable specular in CSS, we'll just have to play with it 'till valve fixes it.

I dont think it's broken :beard:

I think it looks better. Its definitly not broken lol. HDR isnt a bad thing (unless its overdone)

I dont know how bad it is for you guys but on my comp its retarded, everything is SOO shiny. The grenade is a silver ball of shine in hl2 DM for me. The white combine soldier looks like a mirror almost. I gotta turn it off somehow.

DJ-CHRIS said:
I dont think it's broken :beard:

I don't necessarily think it's "broken", but c'mon... concrete walls are not supposed to look like that. I think Valve just needs to scale back the specular effect.

I've been noticing the same thing espicially in cs_office at the ct's spawn, it's very shiney, if you like shiney, then go on the ct side of cs_office then you'll be in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom